Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

Cardio Workouts?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2012, 11:44 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Cardio Workouts?

I am a little guy, 4'11" and 95 lbs. if we do get an elk we will probably bone it out then pack out what we can and make another trip or two to pack it all out. I am hunting with my dad and my 10 year old brother.

I'm 16
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/

My guess on W3P .308 230 Grain Bullet: G1 .740-.755
Old 07-22-2012, 04:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnesuser28 View Post
I am a little guy, 4'11" and 95 lbs. if we do get an elk we will probably bone it out then pack out what we can and make another trip or two to pack it all out. I am hunting with my dad and my 10 year old brother.
If terrain permits, it's a lot easier to drag than carry ...

Drag harnest

+

Deer sleigh/dead sled

I hang mine on my vest ...

Good luck!

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 07-22-2012, 05:36 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp6x6 View Post
I started my boy at 5 hiking the mountains,he is Montana tough now.He can go anywhere he wants.He wrestles and plays football.Off time, ski,horn hunt,bike and fish high mountain lakes.For us it is a life style.I would do a exercise machine like a stair climber,or run bleachers.I was on or cross country team and we ran up or local ski mountain. I am scoutin now for season.In this pict. my boy was 14-15 and we hiked in miles below and up 2-3000 verticle.This is just what it is where I hunt, Im still doing it,just slower
That's a very good picture.
Old 07-22-2012, 11:45 PM
Bronze Member

I just stuck this on the other thread on high altitude but it fits perfectly here too, do some lunges and squats at home, just lots of reps with your body weight at first. Others pointed out doing stairs etc. - agree 100%. The cool thing is if you can't always easily get to some stairs, you can always do squats/lunges at home - on commercial breaks or whatever. Certainly do the aerobic workouts, but don't forget the stairs and strength stuff for the legs too.

Good luck.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:13 AM
Platinum Member

I would have to say sprinting! Many treadmills have various workouts preloaded into them already. I work out 3-4 nights a week after work. We will usually do a program called a sprint 8. It starts off with a 3 minute, 3.5 mph, 0 incline walk. Then for 8 sessions, a 30 second, 6 mph, 5 incline run, with 90 seconds in between runs. This takes about 20-25 minutes with a 3 minute cool down. We follow this up with various weight training for 30-45 minutes, then to finish a 1-2 mile run at 5-6 mph and 0 incline. There are so many programs you can come up with. You have to find what works for you. Another thing which is tons of fun are parachute runs. If you can get your hands on a parachute, strap that on your back and do some running in a parking lot or field. These will get you in shape.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...4-build-83765/ - Build Thread
http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...-284-a-124876/ - Gun Pictures/Ongoing Shooting Thread
Old 07-23-2012, 09:38 AM
Platinum Member

I spent 6 years in the military, the first 4 were at sea level, and even though I did PT 5 days a week, there was no preparing for 10,000 feet, it flat kicked my butt the first few days. My last 2 years I actually spent in Grand Forks North Dakota and it was a little easier since I was used to 3000 feet. But your still going to have a little acclimation period. Apparently you are 13 and not 100 lbs wet, so I think the hardest part of your hunt will be packing meat out. I would strap on a pack with as much weight as you can handle and hit a set of bleachers or stairs somewhere maybe climb 1-2000 feet a day

Get a JOB! I already feed the bears, I dont need to feed you too!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 07-23-2012, 09:51 AM
Platinum Member

It will take more than a couple trips if two of you are just younguns 10 and 13 years old. It will take one person one trip just to take the head/cape out and that is probably a job your Dad will have to do as you're talking a lot of weight, as well as it being awkward. You certainly don't want to hurt yourself carrying too heavy a load and I doubt that either of you kids will be able to carry a boned out hindquarter of a good bull. Just the sight of one when you walk up to him is awesome and overwhelming if you've only hunted little bitty deer in the past.