Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

Cardio Workouts?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2012, 11:10 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Cardio Workouts?

I started my boy at 5 hiking the mountains,he is Montana tough now.He can go anywhere he wants.He wrestles and plays football.Off time, ski,horn hunt,bike and fish high mountain lakes.For us it is a life style.I would do a exercise machine like a stair climber,or run bleachers.I was on or cross country team and we ran up or local ski mountain. I am scoutin now for season.In this pict. my boy was 14-15 and we hiked in miles below and up 2-3000 verticle.This is just what it is where I hunt, Im still doing it,just slower
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Cardio Workouts?-wp-mf.jpg  
Old 07-22-2012, 07:36 AM
Platinum Member

I'm with Sidecar on this one. I'm on the tail end of my 60s.

I don't miss the missing body parts either. However, those two rib long scars are a pain in the gut. The slow healing kidney grabs me once in awhile too. Was tussling with the grand kids, little girls, and got nailed. Ouch!!

Putin' yur ass on an ass isn't pain free either. Need to sneak up on that one. Wear panty hose.

The 13 year old will have no problem at all. It used to take me, even after decent prep, about 3 days into the elk hunt in the big mtns to reach the point where I could walk where I wished without being winded. Youth is resilient. Too bad its wasted on the young.

I have no dog but recently acquired 2 future pack goats. These guys are way better than any other animal I've had. Great company, no problems and will be carrying the load next year.

Long hikes in the very sandy 'behind the house' area in 90* heat is exhausting.

This week we start scouting in the mountains supplemented by the tread mill which is boring as all get out.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:50 AM
Platinum Member

Roy...

As another member of the zipper club, I can say it's not fun but better to be on this side of the ground than the other.

All the trials and tribulations we have to endure when all we have to do is go to the supermarket's meat counter......

.....but it's the 'fun of it'......

I've learned (through experience) not to get my torso in that 'certain' position. Must be the twinge that reminds me. At least 'that' position has nothing in common with shooting.

Youth is wasted on the young. I'd sure like to go back in time 30 years or more for some things but for others, I don't want to do them again.......

One trip is more than enough.

However, if I had my choice from the beginning, I'd have been born a girl.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:06 AM
Platinum Member

Riley, if you have access to a treadmill, you can up the incline on it to about 5% to get used to walking/jogging on an incline.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:37 AM
Platinum Member

Riley,

At your age, both my sons (now 23 and 20) were competitive swimmers (short and long course) and swims all year around. Their dry land training involved weights, pilates, and yoga. Occasionally, they'll do a mini-triathlon too. So conditioning was not an issue when they were hunting with me ... I on the other was a different story. I was slowing them down, so I changed my diet and exercise in 2003. Lost 15 pounds, gained/toned muscle, got stronger too, lost 4 inches off my waist ... and maintaining it.

I don't go crazy on my cardio ... I simply do a 12 % grade/incline (simulating a climb) on a treadmill for 30-45 minutes 4 times a week for 3 MPH. I used to do the stair-stepper too but my knees don't like it.

The key is to do it at your aerobic zone and all year around. Along with my cardio, I also do about 30 minutes of weights (not for muscle mass but for strength and toning) for upper and lower body, back, and abs.

With little I do, my aging body performs rather well on and around the Montana mountains and wilderness.

Good luck!

Ed

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.

Last edited by FEENIX; 07-22-2012 at 10:28 AM.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:38 AM
Platinum Member

I do have access to a tredmill so i might have to do that.

I'm 16
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/

My guess on W3P .308 230 Grain Bullet: G1 .740-.755
Old 07-22-2012, 11:34 AM
Platinum Member

I dont know your size,but weights are great also. I looked at 1/4's from a friends bull in -11 that where 140# and 120#.That is on the large side but I have had 100 + 1/4'S many times and it takes some strength to get them out.Friends help and you can bone the tough ones.Squats and cleans are good strength builders.