Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

Burnt out and havent even booked

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2013, 02:09 PM
Silver Member

Burnt out and havent even booked

I have spent hours in front of this computer and on the phone with outfitters from colorado to Idaho to New Mexico, and I am thoroughly burnt out. Apparently there is just no way to know who to book with, whether to do a Semi guided or fully guided until you drop $5K and roll the dice. I am going on a hunt next fall 2014. I really want to book an elk hunt but I am starting to consider just doing a do it yourself mule deer hunt or maybe a guided one just to learn the lay of the land and how to hunt "out west" as I am from KY. Is there even any reasonable chance of killing an Elk if you come to CO and do a DIY hunt if you have never hunted out there and know nothing about elk hunting, or should I just pony up and spend the $7000 that it costs to get a landowner tag in New Mexico. What I would ideally like is to do a semi guided hunt on private land. I don't need somebody to hold my hand and baby sit me but I could certainly use someone to point me in the right direction and give me some sound elk hunting advice.
I spent 5 years in the Army and 2 and a half of those in Iraq so I am not worried about my outdoor or survival skills. I am an avid whitetail hunter as well as coyote and bobcat hunting here at home, so I am a proficient "hunter", but lets face it when you are hunting unfamiliar terrain and unfamiliar animals it doesn't hurt to have some help. I would like to hear any advice you all have. I of course really want to kill an elk or mule deer on this hunt, but I also understand it is hunting not killing. What concerns me most is having a good hunt. Enjoying the scenery and the campfire and having a good area where there is actually a chance to kill what I'm chasing not be sent off to some place with no game and be told what an awesome place it is and then pay out the ass for a first class screwing.
Your opinions are welcome.

Thanks
Old 02-13-2013, 02:52 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Burnt out and havent even booked

Call me. 208-880-6885.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:58 PM
Platinum Member

I will tell you what you what you need to hear, not what they want you to hear. I will not be around next week, as I have some clients coming in for a wolf hunt, but between now and Friday I can give you some information and advice if you wish.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:09 PM
Silver Member

Sent you a PM backyardsniper.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:11 PM
Silver Member

Got it. I'm at work. I'll give you a holler when I get off or tomorrow. I'm over far west ky by paducah
Old 02-15-2013, 09:30 PM
Platinum Member

If you are not too old and have some good hunting years out in front of you I would suggest a DIY hunt for mule deer in a area you have researched and while hunting deer become informed as to how to hunt elk. Bucks are everywhere. Elk not so much as they stay herded up and can move miles if spooked. Horses are a big plus when after elk but not necessary if you can find them undisturbed and that's the trick....finding the elk.

This is what I did. Me and a couple buddies found a prime area in south east Idaho after researching for a year and hunted bucks there for years before turning to elk that were actually a nuisance while hunting deer. Used to carry a cow call to quiet the elk down so I could get around them without getting them spooked. After a few years finding a bull was lots easier then locating a good buck

Another thing we did was research a lot of research then when deciding on a particular area we would find a outfitter in that unit and work a deal for a drop camp where we wanted it. Killed my first bull on such a hunt. Don't expect 350 bulls or 30 inch bucks the first few years but if you did your home work picked a area that has the gene pool and not a lot of pressure you will figure it out. A 250 bull you found on your own is way better the a 350 bull some outfitter points out. Pick you hunting buddies carefully. Twenty days in a drop camp will push things to the limit. Keep it cheap...Good luck

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 02-16-2013, 06:21 PM
Gold Member

I think a lot depends on

1) How often do you want to elk hunt?
2) How much do you want to spend each time you do?

If you are looking for this to be an annual deal and you can't afford to pay an outfitter every year, then it is probably best to start of on a DIY basis and learn from there. It will still cost quite a bit up front to get some DIY supplies (wall tent, camp equipment, cots, etc), but you will get a lot more out of that then dropping $7,000 on an outfitter. On the other end of the spectrum, if you are looking for a one time hunt or once every few years and you can afford a fully guided hunt, then by all means to the research and go that route. The only other option would be to pay $1,000+ a year for a drop camp, which could work if it fits the budget.

If you can afford the time and money, I would also suggest spending some time in the woods this year, even if you aren't planning on hunting. You could get A LOT of scouting in if you were to spend a week out in Colorado this year in preperation for next. Just my two cents...