Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

Bullets for Elk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2013, 10:53 AM
Gold Member

Re: Bullets for Elk

I did follow the thread, it was unreal how much success you guys had! I just thought you had mentioned that you weren't totally comfortable with them inside of a couple hundred yards, but I could be mistaken
Old 03-05-2013, 10:53 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cohunter14 View Post
Jeff, didn't you have some hesitation with shooting those Bergers at closer range? Obviously they do fantastic at long range, but I thought you were saying close range they were not performing as well. That is the only reason I ended up going with Accubonds, which is why I recommended them here as well (he mentioned long range and shorter range). Just curious as I really value your opinion!
I have hesitation with any bullet until I see it in all scenarios. Yes at first on some closer shots I was hesitant as they did not exit. But in one bull that was quartering about 200 yards I measured through a hole big enough to stick my tape in a path of 26". That pretty much told me they were up to the task. All the pics are there. The way they worked for me was under 500 yards or so they didn't exit in some cases, mostly elk. But they destroyed vitals every time even when the placement was less than good. They had to prove their selves to me. I didn't want to shoot just a few animals and praise them. I wanted many kills to draw a full conclusion. Early on in the thread you are correct, I was hesitant. But later on after I had gutted over a dozen animals and seen all fall to one shot my confidence grew. I don't want anyone to take my word for it and just use them. I would rather they read and look at the thread and make up their own mind if they are what they want to use.

Also remember, I will always favor a bullet that preforms best at the longer distances. Close shots are easier and usually have best placement. Longer shots you need something that is accurate, bucks wind,and will expand for sure and do damage. The farther they are away the harder a follow up will be if needed. There is no magic bullet that works perfect at all distances and velocities. But there are choices that fit your needs best and why you need to decide what will fill all your personal needs best. For me it is the Bergers.

Jeff
Old 03-05-2013, 02:13 PM
Bronze Member

I have shot whitetails with 210 betters out of my .300 RUM. A hit in the vitals us devastating, and head shots are something else to see. Shot an antelope last fall @ 689 yards and that dropped the buck dead in it's tracks. But that was antelope and not Elk. This year I want to do a cow elk hunt, but will see if I can find some over the counter tags somewhere.