Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

Bullets for Elk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2013, 10:02 AM
Silver Member

Bullets for Elk

Quick question here. What bullets are you using for Elk? Bullets that will perform close range and long range. Calibers I load for are .300 Ultra, .30-06, and 7mm. Also, would bullets suitable for elk be suitable for Moose?
Old 03-05-2013, 10:12 AM
Gold Member

Re: Bullets for Elk

I am loading 200gr Accubonds in my 300 Ultra. Everything I have seen and read lead me to using them for all big game, including elk. I will also be using these for Moose as well. I think they would be a good fit for all three calibers that you are talking about. Maybe 160's for the 7mm and 180's for the 30-06. The best part is that they will work really well for close shots, but also have good BC's for shooting long range, whereas some of the other bullets designed for long range shooting don't seem to work very well up close.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:17 AM
Gold Member

Forgot to mention this, but you might also want to check out the Accubond Long Range bullets that are just about to come out. I can't wait to see the reviews of those as the posted BC's are incredible.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:21 AM
Platinum Member

We have been hilling a lot of elk with the 215 and 230 Bergers in our 300 wins.

Also several have fallen to the 180 Berger in our 7mm's

This bull below took a 215 Hybrid in the boiler room at 636 yards and stumbled a few steps then folded up last fall.

If you are interested in wound channel pics from all distances you may want to take a look at my thread here. Comparing the Berger 210 VLD to the 215 Hybrid

There are 20 kills with pics from 200 to 1285 with the 215 Berger along with impact details too.

I have not taken a moose with them yet, but if I draw the tag I will have no problem using them after what I have seen in the field.

Jeff

Old 03-05-2013, 10:38 AM
Silver Member

Berbers is what I am looking at, and the new Accubonds are looking very interesting.

That's a nice looking Elk.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:42 AM
Gold Member

Jeff, didn't you have some hesitation with shooting those Bergers at closer range? Obviously they do fantastic at long range, but I thought you were saying close range they were not performing as well. That is the only reason I ended up going with Accubonds, which is why I recommended them here as well (he mentioned long range and shorter range). Just curious as I really value your opinion!
Old 03-05-2013, 10:43 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks, I think we took 5 bulls with that bullet last fall and I lost count on the cows. I was pretty high on them by the season end. Take a look at the thread and see if their performance suits what you like in a hunting bullet.

Jeff