Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting


Reply

Bullet recommendations for 300WM

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #71  
Old 07-08-2012, 12:50 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 179
Re: Bullet recommendations for 300WM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakes10mm View Post
Nice grouping! I hope to see the same results from mine. Is your CDL bone stock, or have you bedded, pillared, floated....etc? I have RL15 on the radar. I'm trying to resist the temptation to take it to the range, but may have to take a few shots soon. This heat wave is placing my work with 300WM loads on hold.

I had some reservations with the 1:16 twist on Remington and Ruger factory 35 Whelen barrels, but seems like they are sufficiently quick enough to stabilize the 225gr bullets I intend to shoot. I'm feeling more confident thanks to your group above.
My rifle is bone stock. It seems like it shoots everything well. I have thought about pulling the stock and bedding it, but I am not messing with it, till it gives me a reason. I did have the trigger tuned up many years ago, but that is about it on that rifle.

That 1-16 will handle the 250 PT's as well. The CDL is set up nicely in the mag area as you can stretch them rounds out and get the RL15 in there. You can't hardly get enough RL15 in a 35 Whelen case to make it dangerously high. Not saying to try, but it seems like the perfect powder for me. It turns in the speed and accuracy. I hear of some people getting close to 2900 with the new 200 AB's as well.
__________________
SEMPER FI
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 07-08-2012, 08:11 AM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 62
Re: Bullet recommendations for 300WM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beretzs View Post
My rifle is bone stock. It seems like it shoots everything well. I have thought about pulling the stock and bedding it, but I am not messing with it, till it gives me a reason. I did have the trigger tuned up many years ago, but that is about it on that rifle.

That 1-16 will handle the 250 PT's as well. The CDL is set up nicely in the mag area as you can stretch them rounds out and get the RL15 in there. You can't hardly get enough RL15 in a 35 Whelen case to make it dangerously high. Not saying to try, but it seems like the perfect powder for me. It turns in the speed and accuracy. I hear of some people getting close to 2900 with the new 200 AB's as well.
Thanks. I'm taking the same approach with my Rem 700 BDL in 300WM; don't fix it if it's already working. I bought some adjustable pillar columns from Brownells, but having a hard time imagining the need when it's pulling 1/2" groups. If accuracy goes south for some reason while developing the 200 AB loads, I may reconsider pillar bedding and floating the barrel.
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 07-08-2012, 09:14 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 179
Re: Bullet recommendations for 300WM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakes10mm View Post
Thanks. I'm taking the same approach with my Rem 700 BDL in 300WM; don't fix it if it's already working. I bought some adjustable pillar columns from Brownells, but having a hard time imagining the need when it's pulling 1/2" groups. If accuracy goes south for some reason while developing the 200 AB loads, I may reconsider pillar bedding and floating the barrel.
Same here Jake, if it shooting well, I don't mess with them. If they need bedding, I will usually go the whole way with pillars and everything. Bedding always seems to help, but I can't see messing with this Whelen and making it better than it is. It has never given me any reason to pull the stock. I know if I did it too much, I would be tempted to fix something that isn't broken.
__________________
SEMPER FI
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 07-08-2012, 10:22 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 4
Re: Bullet recommendations for 300WM

I'm new to long range shooting and haven't had the opportunity to shoot over 250 yards. i have an encore pro hunter with a 28inch barrel in 300 win mag. i want to shoot a bullet at least 190 grains but i'm having trouble finding a selection of bullets that heavy. Any recommendations? i will be hunting large game with this rifle and i want to know what i'm getting myself into.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 07-08-2012, 10:51 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 179
Re: Bullet recommendations for 300WM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkenwoodsman View Post
I'm new to long range shooting and haven't had the opportunity to shoot over 250 yards. i have an encore pro hunter with a 28inch barrel in 300 win mag. i want to shoot a bullet at least 190 grains but i'm having trouble finding a selection of bullets that heavy. Any recommendations? i will be hunting large game with this rifle and i want to know what i'm getting myself into.
I would look at the 200 AB and 200 PT. Then, on top of them, you have Swift's, Sierra GK's and a slew of others. With a 28" barrel on your Encore, I think you would really see some impressive speeds out of your 300. Good luck with your load work.
__________________
SEMPER FI
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 07-09-2012, 12:21 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 4
Re: Bullet recommendations for 300WM

Thanks for the recommendations. I'm also concerned about the moa capabilities of my encore. I don't know what to expect for effective range.
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 07-09-2012, 01:14 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 179
Re: Bullet recommendations for 300WM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkenwoodsman View Post
Thanks for the recommendations. I'm also concerned about the moa capabilities of my encore. I don't know what to expect for effective range.
I couldn't see why your Encore couldn't be expected to be as accurate as any other rifle. They seem to be well made rifles. I think once you have developed a load that is under MOA consistently, then begin stretching the range out and you will see what the max range of the you/rifle will be. Let us know when you start loading, there is a ton of great shooters here who can assist in refining your load for the 300WM. Great cartridge. Usually pretty accurate as well.
__________________
SEMPER FI
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: Bullet recommendations for 300WM
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
25-06 elk bullet recommendations? hmbleservant Elk Hunting 13 07-28-2011 11:45 AM
25-06 elk bullet recommendations please hmbleservant Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics 21 07-27-2011 12:21 PM
.243 Win. bullet recommendations? bowhunthard Specialty Handgun Hunting 3 08-02-2010 08:44 PM
300WM 208GR A-MAX load recommendations. WVHILLBILLYJLM Reloading 7 01-18-2010 09:32 PM
270 Weatherby bullet recommendations cbaker Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics 7 03-20-2004 09:21 PM

Current Poll
Do you archery hunt for elk?
YES - 31.35%
58 Votes
NO - 52.97%
98 Votes
Not yet, but I plan to. - 15.68%
29 Votes
Total Votes: 185
You may not vote on this poll.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC