Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

Bullet for elk ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2012, 04:03 PM
Silver Member

Re: Bullet for elk ?

I guess I maybe slightly misinformed on the Bergers. Most of what I have been told by others that shoot them or have read [ even the companies own information on loading] it'a a rarity that they will do ok not touching the lands. I felt that if this is the case there maybe an issue with them fitting in the magazine or have a feeding problem or like you said one sticking in the barrel causing a major foul up of my action during a hunt.
Old 02-18-2012, 04:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red hunter View Post
I guess I maybe slightly misinformed on the Bergers. Most of what I have been told by others that shoot them or have read [ even the companies own information on loading] it'a a rarity that they will do ok not touching the lands. I felt that if this is the case there maybe an issue with them fitting in the magazine or have a feeding problem or like you said one sticking in the barrel causing a major foul up of my action during a hunt.
That is old methods. Read this from Eric Stecker @ Berger.

Getting the Best Precision and Accuracy from Berger VLD bullets in Your Rifle

Also note that is the recent past Berger has released the " Hybrid" 0-give line of bullets that were designed to be less sensitive to seating depths. This allows for use in shorter mag boxes and has made load work up easier.

In my 338 LM the 300 Hybrid shot every single shot into 1/2 moa groups when seated from .015" off the lande to .065" off the lands. I settled for the lowest ES as all groups were outstanding.

Jeff
Old 02-18-2012, 08:34 PM
Silver Member

Broz,
I read that a little while ago and thought about it for a bit. Maybe the part of my brain that over annalizes took over and came up with a couple questions that I did not ask and could not answer myself.

Where do you start with powder load? What powder to use? Will I have to work a load for each seating depth? Or do I just load one powder weight for all the depths then take the best group and work a load for it? If I can't get a good load for that depth move to the next best group and work another load?
I may have talked myself out of a good thing.

I have bought 100 pieces of new brass and prepped it and loaded it to fire form to the chamber and for barrel break in.

Any advice on these questions is welcome
Old 02-18-2012, 08:40 PM
Silver Member

Rifle info: Savage 300 win mag, mag contour barrel, 24 inch with 10 twist.

bought this rifle with the reasoning that barrel changes are relatively easy and not out of reason prices for heavier barrels for future.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:09 PM
Platinum Member

Red hunter, I would start with a proven powder that is not temp sensitive such as H4831, or H1000. I then like to determine what a max charge is with a given load by shooting two shot groups. I would then back off about 3 grains under max and keeping everything consistent, try several different seating depths from just into the lands, if you are shooting vld's, and then backing off about .020" per load. Shoot at least 3 shots min. and see what groups the best up to max. I would then repeat that load and load .010" each way for seating depth and try again. When you have determined the best seating depth, change your powder charge by increasing in 1 gr. increments until you reach max and again, choose the best group and load 1/2 gr. each way from there. You can then try another powder starting with your best seating depth.
Everyone has a little different approach, but this works for me. For long range, try to find a combo that has a low e.s. and at distance, a low vertical spread on target. You can play with primers to fine tune a little further at this point if you want....Rich
Old 02-18-2012, 09:17 PM
Platinum Member

Go to reloading section. Read the sticky on Berger bullets, reread has pages of good info. I shoot 300 otm @ .005 off. my cartridge was designed for the 300 gr. bullet specifically. I have shot 1'' at 400 yrd. with said bullet. We shot 3 animals this fall w/ bergers