Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

Bullet for elk ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2012, 10:55 PM

Re: Bullet for elk ?

My 7mm Dakota killed two bulls this year. One at 400yds one at 505yds with the 180grn VLD. One dropped on a lung shot in 5 seconds the other went right down.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:05 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek M. View Post
The only 2 deer I've ever lost in over 20 years of hunting with rifle, bow, crossbow, handgun, were shot with Nosler Accubonds. Just sayin.

1 was shot at 45 yards, the other at 98.
Derek,

I guess you don't like the accubonds...... hahhaahha I am glad I asked my guy to work up a load for the 250 scenars!!!!
Old 02-16-2012, 07:05 PM
Platinum Member

I haven't read thru the entire post so forgive me if this has already been covered. The Swift Scirrocos are very good elk bullets if your rifle will group them. Also, if you aren't looking for a super high b.c., the old tried and true Nosler partitions are still a very lethal bullet.......Rich
Old 02-17-2012, 10:26 PM
Silver Member

Since the question was first asked the weather here has been pretty wet and cold, so I have not had time to go to the range and work any loads. I did have time to order a new Savage 300 win mag. Took it today to local shop for muzzle brake install. Should have it back in 2 to 3 weeks. I think I will try the Barnes 180 TTSX first after break in. If they wont shoot I will try the Accubond then the Core Lockt or the Sierra. I am not real sure about the Bergers becuse of the seating depth, not fond of the idea of bullet touching the lands. Now the big decision will be which rifle to take as a back up.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:35 PM
Platinum Member

Curious as to why you don't want the bullet touching the lands? As long as its only a few thou, there is no danger of sticking in the chamber. Also, some rifles shoot the vld's very well off of the lands. Not trying to sell you on Bergers.......Rich
Old 02-18-2012, 10:39 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red hunter View Post
I am going on my first elk hunt and would like some opinions on bullets. I plan on using a 7mm rem mag with a 175 sierra game king or savage in 308 with a 165 grain sierra game king. Are the game king spitser bullets a good choice or should I work a load for a different bullet ?
Of the two cartriges, I would use the 7 Rem Mag.

Lots more energy and better trajectory.

I would try to make the 160gr Accubond shoot because it would have the best all round
energy and trajectory plus it is a bonded core bullet.

The gameking bullets are good bullets but I find them to be inconsistent as far terminal
performance because the jackets are not bonded to the core.

Look at energies and trajectories of all the loads suggested and it will become obvious
to you which would be best.

I would base my decision on a delivered energy of 1500 ft/lbs minimum, for maximum
distance used.(What is the maximum distance that a particular load and bullet combo
reaches a minimum of 1500 ft/lbs)

On the issue of seating depth that came up, I believe that seating all hunting ammo .020
shorter than the magazine length ends up being the best plan all round. loads this length
can be made very accurate and trouble free.

Just my opinion for what it's worth.

J E CUSTOM
Old 02-18-2012, 10:44 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red hunter View Post
I am not real sure about the Bergers becuse of the seating depth, not fond of the idea of bullet touching the lands. Now the big decision will be which rifle to take as a back up.
Out of all the rifles I load for , set up and own, many of them shoot Bergers for hunting. Only my sons 300 win has the bullets touching the lands. All of the others are from .015" all the way to .115" off the lands. The Weatherby chamberings with factory freebore are more like .180" off the lands.

Rich is correct, the old ways of jaming them is not the norm any longer. Especially with the new Hybrid O-gives. I would not deprive your new 300 win of a chance to shoot it's best. Give it a chance with some 210 VLD's or some 230 Hybrids. For what it's worth we have taken many elk with these bullets at all distances.

Jeff