Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

Which bullet for elk?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2010, 05:13 AM
Gold Member

Re: Which bullet for elk?

It is asking a lot for a bullet to open the same when shot through the rib meat and lungs, versus the shoulder of an elk. A bullet that does one of those well is likely to be sub-optimal for the other. For me, a forgiving bullet is one that will perform in the most challenging situation (shoulder) yet be acceptable at the other extreme (rib meat and lung).

My experience with the BT is limited but I would not use one on an elk. They are too soft. I have shot animals as small as antelope, and as large as elk with ABs in a variety of situations. The ABs seem to perform consistently. Of course they open less on very soft shots, but I have yet to see one "pencil through" without adequate damage -- even on lung-shot antelope. The only one I've ever seen stop in an animal (200AB out of 300WM) was when someone used my rifle to Texas heart shoot a whitetail (errr).

Elk are large, tough, and unpredictable animals. Unless you hit the spine it is not realistic to expect any bullet to guarantee they drop in their tracks. But if you do your job and put one through the vitals, with a bullet with a wide performance range (AB), they won't make it far.
Old 08-08-2010, 01:02 PM
Bronze Member

Just wanted to thank all who replied......... I am going to use the Accubond.
Old 08-28-2010, 01:58 AM
Silver Member

dont be afraid to try barnees or ssierra bullets.some folks seem to think the more expensive the better.i wonder sometimmes about the info here
Old 09-09-2010, 11:28 PM
Non-Profit Sponsor

It all depends on Range, if its under 500 yards I would go with the Nosler E-Tip. If it is over 500 I would go with the accubond. Both good choice. All around I would go with the accubond. I went 200 grain accubond in my 300 RUM.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:01 AM

I am no expert on bullet types I can say I shot a bull 2 years ago with a winchester 180 GR. AB at 375 yards and had complete pass-through. It was a broadside shot just behind the shoulder.
Old 09-10-2010, 02:42 PM
Platinum Member

For elk and that cartridge, I'd shoot the 200g Accubond.

I've seen my brother put four 180 AB's into elk. 2 at 428 into the ribs of a cow--neither exited. 2 at 200 into a raghorn bull into the lungs--neither exited. I didn't feel that there was a tremendous amount of damage internally in either case and no exit hole--not that I believe you need and exit hole, but if it doesn't exit, my theory is it had better do some serious damage inside to stop 'em.

By comparison, my 300RUM shot the 200g A-frame at 250yd and took out a 6" diameter chunk of the spine on one cow and 2 other shots with 240g SMK at 450 both exited and 1 other shot at a spike bull at 60 with the 240 broke a shoulder going in and literally jellied internal organs in front of the diaphram.

My take away from what limited experience I have is that the 180 AB in the 300 WSM is adequate, but I think it may be a little underpowered for elk, especially at any distance. Elk are big, tough animals and I think we owe it to hunting in general to 'use enough gun' as the saying goes. Not to say that a well place shot won't work--it will. Just had some expereince that makes me wonder is all about the 180 AB in the WSM in elk. This is one reason I went to a .338 this year in the off chance of a bad hit, there's potentially a better chance of ending things quicker. Just my opinion and ramblings.

I think the 200g AB would be about as good an all around choice as you have in that chambering.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 09-10-2010, 03:06 PM
Platinum Member

Jmden,

I'm a little surprised that Accubonds stayed in an elk. I have yet to have one stay in an elk with my 270 WSM and I've shot them in some heavy bone, all over 300yrds and it just crushes them!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"