Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

Blue Mountains of Washington

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2010, 12:00 AM
Silver Member

Blue Mountains of Washington

Well gentlemen I am looking for your very respected opinions. My son and I are planning on taking an elk hunting trip into the blues next year in the modern firearm season of course. So I am looking for any tips tricks or hints that might get us started on hunting elk in the blues. I only have time for 3 maybe 4 scouting trips during the summer so I am really hoping one of you wouldn't mind giving us a head start, please.

Thank you very much ahead of time, JRW
Old 12-22-2010, 09:46 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Blue Mountains of Washington

jrw,
Can't help much other than to say good luck. I lived in the Tri-Cities for a little while and went thought the Blues a few times while working. Beautiful place.
I have some friends out there in Richland and they go up around Pomeroy every year elk hunting. They always fill their tags.
Should make for some wonderful, lasting memories for you and your son. Again, good luck. JohnnyK.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:10 PM
Silver Member

Johnnyk I actually have buddies that go down to the blues every year also. But their idea of elk camp has more to do with drinking and eating and getting away from their wives than hunting. I actually went down with them one year for 2 days. It was fun hanging with the guys for a couple of days but I can only drink so much at one time. So they are no help. That is why I was hoping someone on here could possibly lend a helpful hand.

Thanks, JRW
Old 12-22-2010, 10:38 PM

My family has been huntin there for over 30 years, what parts do you know so far?
Old 12-23-2010, 08:34 AM
Silver Member

Jasonkranz,

I have been in and explored around south of pomeroy up to the lookout and in past camp wootin. But during hunting season those areas are so packed with people I would like to be somewhere else. I am preliminarily thinking about back packing in 1-2 miles from godmen and camp then hunt from there. But I have never been in there, I am just going by what I read in field and stream and google earth for right now. That is why I am looking for some first hand knowledge from someone who knows. So what do you think.

Thanks, JRW
Old 12-23-2010, 03:30 PM

Your choice of godmen is great, you need to start higher and work down fingers and draws. The most important thing is stay away from those dawn pack trails. Keep eyes on the old burns. The elk up high don't come down to far until late. Most of the elk are around 4000 to 5500 ft. East of the mountian road holds good elk pop.
Old 12-23-2010, 03:43 PM
Silver Member

That was my plan exactly but which direction do the pack trails run from godmen. My plan was to pack in south from godmen and work the ridges keeping the elevated position glassing all the opposing hillsides. South looks like the best country to hunt atleast that is what it looks like using google earth.

JRW