Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

Average bull elk weights.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2013, 12:20 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Average bull elk weights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkamike View Post
those are some amazing numbers. I am very picky when I process an animal.. if its not meat I dont take it... there is some waste but my havalon helps cut down on that a lot but I dont get a fraction of what you get. I cut up a cow for a guy last year and got 50 lbs exactly... nothing below the first joint, no rib or neck meat. I have been trying to get more and more "adventurous" when I cut meat to get a higher yield but still not getting anything near what you are.
Most guys are either real picky or not do enough cleaning, the main thing is to get rid of a few key glands, hair and blood shot but other than that if your grinder can take it then it's GTG. Everyone we cut for has been blown away by how good our burger tastes, the key is using fresh beef suit that is pink and smells sweet! This is premium stuff here, trust me!!!!!

This bull did yield high, and average cow I would get about 60ish pounds of steaks and roast and 115 pounds of burger which would reflect at least a hit in the ribs maybe a lower damage shoulder hit. A large lead cow would be between the two.

This is all that's left when I'm done. Most of the neck is missing because dad was digging around for bullet frag but I take them right down to the ears.

Average bull elk weights.-612.jpg

One back strap straight of the animal and one ready to steak.

Average bull elk weights.-624.jpg

Burger meat and 12% beef suet on right and first grind on left.

Average bull elk weights.-678.jpg

Second fine grind on right and first course on left.

Average bull elk weights.-680.jpg

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 11-07-2013, 12:28 AM
Silver Member

Don't you just love it when someone says it weighted 1000 pounds? I always try to be the first one to tell them they are full of s&(t. Some folks just don't really have a clue
Old 11-07-2013, 12:36 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassin93 View Post
Don't you just love it when someone says it weighted 1000 pounds? I always try to be the first one to tell them they are full of s&(t. Some folks just don't really have a clue
I can't tell you how many guys would be just crushed when they wanted me to guess their elks weight and then wheel it in on a certified scale and let them see for themselves! Though I always offer to charge them on their guess!!

I've tested some of the spring scales that most guys use to weigh animals and very few will be within 50 pounds of a certified scale!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 11-08-2013, 08:57 PM
Bronze Member

Just weighed my daughters elk. We peeled all 4 quarters off and left pelvis spine and rib cage on the mountain. I started right at the brisket for the fronts and kept as much meat on the shoulder as I could. The hind quarters where separated at the ball and socket but closely trimmed at the pelvis. I carved out the back straps and tenderloins. The neck I trimmed a big slab off both sides. Total weight off this small 6x6 bull was 242#.

I do think we tend to over guess the size of elk.
Old 11-09-2013, 05:31 PM
Platinum Member

No idea how I missed this one.
Congrats Rhian! Good thread for the first few pages I read. I'll continue catching up on it later

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 11-10-2013, 05:07 PM
Platinum Member

All I know is the sound of those steaks and roasts..etc...etc...make my mouth water like all hell..!
Old 11-13-2013, 10:55 PM
Silver Member

The last bull I shot weighed 483 pounds on the scale. That is skinned and quartered with bones still in, no head or legs below the knee. Yield was around 300 pounds but all neck meat and trim was ground into chili meat so not much went to waste. Nothing like and elk meat burrito with red chile, taters, and cheese. It filled from top to bottom my 7 cubic foot chest freezer, refer freezer, and some of my parents freezer.