Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

Arizona Unit 22N Bull Elk Hunt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2011, 05:34 PM
Gold Member

Re: Arizona Unit 22N Bull Elk Hunt

As far as tactics go Michael is right about glassing so I won't say much about that but I will add if you can somehow find a water source that bulls are hitting and people aren't all over it it can pay off big. Also if you have help going with you, doing a drive through the thick stuff can turn up bulls you would otherwise never see. JUST BE SAFE I RECOMMEND LOTS OF ORANGE!!!
Old 04-21-2011, 06:50 PM

Guys,

Thanks for all the suggestions on tactics and area.

I think that my next trip out will be to the hardscrabble mesa area and southeast of pine, I agree with the idea of having as many options available as possible when it comes to tactics and locations to set up at.

I forgot to mention my brother also drew a tag with me so we have a little more flexibility in what techniques we can use. I plan on sitting some tanks and seeps in the morning and evenings, and glassing throughout the day to begin with.

Our main focus is going to be separating ourselves from the masses, I think that the wilderness areas are our best bet at avoiding 75% of the hunters, seeing that most will be road hunters out of phx, and once the first weekend is over most will be gone.

Travis
Old 05-13-2011, 11:08 AM
Silver Member

Travis,
You have gotten some great info from 2 knowledgeable guys on 22. Ive helped 4 or 5 elk hunts ther in the past few years. Expect the worst weather. There is usually atleast one storm that time of year. You may miss it by a week or two but usually comes. It could rain and flood or snow and be very cold. Lots of guys get stuck on that hunt. The past 2 years, it has been pretty cold with snow storms (well below freezing). The year prior it was raining heavily and muddy. It will take some effort to get away form the crowds, but can be done. I prefer to glass in the nastier, thicker secluded canyons to look for bulls. Good luck.

-Ryan
Old 06-02-2011, 02:27 PM

I drew that same tag last year. I hunted north of the control road and the elk were thick as long as you got off the road and glassed. I didnt see any big bulls though and ended up bagging a spike. Me and my brother drew the late Archey hunt this year for the same area. We are looking at the wilderness off of Hardscrabble Mesa or down around Little Diamond. We are looking for bigger bulls this year. any suggestions?
Old 06-03-2011, 04:16 PM
Silver Member

IMHO, if you want a "bigger bull" say 300+, be ready to come home empty handed. I'm not saying they aren't there. There are big bulls in there. They got big because they know how to avoid the hundreds of hunter on late hunts. I have on ocasion found good bulls in 22N on late hunts. Most of the time they are busted up. If they arent or even if they are, odds are some one else is looking at him too. Depending on weather you might find some bulls in the secluded canyons with water. Packing an elk out of any wilderness area is a 3 man job minimum for one trip. Some of that country is quite a poke to get into, much less pack a bull out of. If you can, don't waste the middle of the day makin sandwiches in camp. The bulls are still in the unit during lunch time. Glass the thick stuff and spend the time to pick it apart.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:14 PM

This is my first archery elk hunt so I know the cards are stacked against me. I am not really trophy hunting either just want to do better than a spike this year. The wilderness hunts drag me in because I love getting away from the roads and vehicles. I'll be spending some time getting to know the waterholes this summer but I am getting stationed in NC so I am relying on my brother for post rut scouting. My biggest question is if I should focus on sitting on the waterholes or trying spot and stalk.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:39 PM
GNERGY

There are a lot of experienced local hunters on this site who are pretty friendly. They have helped me out a couple times on where to hunt.
Arizona Sportsman's Journal Community Forums

Tarey