Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

Any outifitter recs for Montana?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2009, 11:36 PM

Re: Any outifitter recs for Montana?

Teutonnic, I don't know Bud Martin, but what he is telling you here is the straight stuff. And that is worth a lot. I was born and raised in MT, mostly hunt on my own w/ some success but went on one guided elk hunt in the Bitterroot Mtns. a few years back and came up dry. The guide was honest, the scenery was great, the food was fantastic, but the elk didn't show ..... and that was before the wolves were re-introduced. Now, more and more, the wolf owns the day, but there is hope ... you can also now apply for a wolf license in MT .... not much meat ... but you are doing the elk a favor.
Old 11-16-2009, 01:11 PM
Silver Member

Call Bill Hoppe, he has been in the business a long time, and has generations of knowledge. He is great to work with, and for. He hunts in southern Park county, Montana. Good luck! The thing to remember with a bunch of these outfits is, if their lips are moving......They are lying.
Bill's phone number is(406) 848-7651 Be sure to ask how long they have been in business, not just played guide. Ask about the area they hunt, it sucks to pay big bucks to go on a hunt, to have a local ding dong pass you on his horse or wheeler.

Last edited by rooster740; 11-18-2009 at 12:38 PM. Reason: no phone number
Old 11-18-2009, 09:33 AM
Silver Member

Lost Creek Outfitters. Good friend of mine Jeremy Fatouros. Sounds like they've been getting some good bulls off of the mountain this year.

He's out of Livingston, MT.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:23 AM

I have known Bud for a long time. I have never hunted with him but he is as honest as the day is long. Bud and his son Richard will do the best they for all of their clients. I have seen many photo's of successful hunts you can also see his Facebook site to see other comments. Bud is as native as it gets in MT. Good Luck
Old 11-18-2009, 10:58 AM
Gold Member

If you can luck out and draw a tag, try Kelly burke @ burke ranch outfitters, may have some landowner/outfitter tags also, he hunts the Missouri Breaks by Fort Peck lake, and works his A** off for you !
I just got back from hunt with them and was IMPRESSED !
Old 11-18-2009, 01:21 PM
Silver Member

I also know lost Creek Outfitters owner Jermy, good guy. Another guy who works for me in the summer guides for LCO. They have had a pretty good season despite the spell of hot weather that had been haunting us for a while.