Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

Advice for a rookie...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2011, 07:02 AM
Silver Member

Re: Advice for a rookie...

I'm a huge Nosler fan and I think I would hunt with a 165 gr. Accubond or Partition. I'd use the one that shoots best in my rifle. Your 308 will work find for you. Good luck in your hunt.
Old 11-25-2011, 09:53 AM
Silver Member

My favorite bullet after 50 seasons of elk hunting is the Nosler Partition, followed by the AB. You can't go wrong with the Nosler. I also agree with careful shot placement, the 308 is a fine caliber, but when you get out there a ways the energy drops off below recommended energy levels into the minimum class. Pick your shot carefullly.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:53 AM

Is there a factory load that shoots the Noslers? I don't have the equipment to reload yet (on the short list of stuff to get), my rifle was built to shoot the Federal GMM ammo, and it shoots extremely well with that ammo, but that's match ammo. I have been told hunting ammo is not built to the same tolerances, and would not shoot as well out of my rifle. Thanks for all of the help so far.
Old 12-03-2011, 11:25 AM
Platinum Member

If you score, you want a good knife, I always carry 2, one is a sharp caper. Also might need a pack out type system. I hunt w/ pack that has a carry system, I always get a load on way out.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:20 AM
Silver Member

there are several brands of factory ammo that shoot either the Nosler Accubond or the Partition as well as several other premium bullets. I believe both Nosler and Hornady make them as do others. While your rifle is tuned to shoot one particular brand does not mean that it will not provide hunting accuracy with another bullet weight or brand . For initial testing try to borrow/buy small lots and go from there. All of my practicing is done with reloads with cheaper bullets, then near the season a few rounds to recheck POA and you are ready for hunting. I also would not hunt with bullets designed for target shoot, especially big heavy bodied animals as elk. If you have a friend that reloads perhaps they could also help you with loads.
Old 12-04-2011, 11:35 AM
Gold Member

A partner whenever possible!........8x42 nikons monarchs work great for us. Good boots (I prefer a light boot but must have good ankle support) ace bandage and band aids as things happen when you wrestling them out of the brush to work on, Two knives and a small sharpener, two flash lights or rather one flashlight and one headlamp, extra batteries, water, a snack, cloth quarter bags, 20' of 1/4 rope and 20' of paracord as they almost always slide to a stop on the steepest part of the slope underneath were ever you shot them at and may need tied off in order to quarter. Some Ibuprofen.... Trust me on that one. I like heavy bullets more than bonded bullets personally. Especially with medium cartridges= the animal's adrenaline level will have a dramatic effect on how easy he falls. After the shot or shots stay calm for about 15 minutes. If you charge in hooting and hollering you may re-motivate him, let him bleed. Once he is down remain ready to shoot again for a few minutes even if you no longer have line of sight. I use a light pack and carry out the first load, dump all my gear at the truck. Trading my rifle for a handgun, my soft pack for a pack frame. Put the headlamp in a pocket and carry a bottle of water (or canteen) back in for the rest.............This is all assuming the the mountains of Colorado are comparable to the mountains of idaho........ Before the shot look down below the elk and except that :that is probably where your going to retrieve him..............good luck