Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

7mm bullets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2013, 09:56 AM

Re: 7mm bullets

Idaho, I agree with you. That bullet is intended to be a target bullet. It was never intended for anybody to hunt elk with and Hornady would be the first one to inform you of that.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:49 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampshooter View Post
Idaho, I agree with you. That bullet is intended to be a target bullet. It was never intended for anybody to hunt elk with and Hornady would be the first one to inform you of that.

However it should make for some powerful "Yote" medicine if you choose to utilize them that way,...

Terry Webster

Life Member NRA
RMEF Sponsoring Member
SCI Member
NAHC Life Member
NAFC Life Member
Thunder Bay Steelheaders
US Army - SGT. 1970-72 1st/327th -101st AB
Viet-Nam Veteran
Old 06-14-2013, 11:14 AM

Just about turn a yote inside out.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:18 AM
Silver Member

Like Idaho I have killed a lot of elk over the years. Used a .270 on a lot of them. Had some problems w/ no penetration with speer over 20 years ago and went to partitions. They worked fine. A friend suggested Hornady cause they gave as good or better accuracy and cost less. I used them a lot of years and got good results. Went to the Barnes TTSX a few years ago. Accuracy was even better and penetration is superb. Been a good bullet for me. Last year as a result of my sheep hunt and some stories here I have started trying the Bergers. So far so good. I have not shot an elk with one, but my sheep guide, John Burns had taken and seen a lot taken with them.
My advice is to find a good bullet that shoots well in your gun. If you use a quality bullet and make a good shot your elk is going to die. Sierra game kings and Bergers are "softer" than a Barnes TTSX. The Accubond and some of the Hornadays are likely in the middle. I've only had one experience with the Accubond and it wasn't a good one..... I'm about 95% on drawing a cow tag this year and I'll try a Berger and we'll see how it goes. Bruce
Old 06-14-2013, 08:57 PM

7mm bullets

I have used an off the shelf Federal Premium 165 grain Nosler Partition for years on white tail and mule deer. It has done a great job. I would anticipate this been a good round for elk. An 180 grain bullet may hit harder but the 165 has a flatter path. What does the group think about the 165 grain Nosler Partition?
Old 06-15-2013, 08:17 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampshooter View Post
Very true! However, others have very good success afield despite the Manufacturer's warning.

It took a LRH member 3 shots on a bull but it's 1350 yards (and that's pretty darn good) with custom Winchester model 70 30" lilja barreled 7 STW using 162gr Hornady A-max....

1350yd colorado bull elk

It's experiences like this that makes us all wonder why but a worthwhile information nonetheless consideration for those that pushes the envelope or to the extreme, like to experiment, prove others wrong, takes risks, or whatever the case maybe. In his case, it was a success!

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:56 PM

Impact or terminal velocity greatly affects bullet expansion. There's a huge difference in remaining velocity at 500 yards and that remaining at 1300 yards. I would call needing three shots to kill an elk as total failure. Get closer next time.