Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

500 Yard+ elk kills

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2013, 06:20 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 500 Yard+ elk kills

Quote:
Originally Posted by krake22002 View Post
I have been looking into getting another rifle. But not sure what to get. Thinking about one of the 7's or and 300. But kinda want a 338 edge, lapua . What are you having built.
I am building a 284 win, i will limit it too 600 for elk and probably 1k on antelope and deer depending on how she shoots. Coyotes, sod poodles, and rock as far as i can dial .

I'm 15
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/
Old 01-22-2013, 06:23 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
My longest bull still remains 865 with my 270 WSM and 165 Matrix, first shot thrashed his liver and back of the of side lung, I could see the hit and it almost knocked him down but he humped up and tried to walk a couple steps then started wobbling around and was dead but not pointing in a nice direction so I put the second one low through the shoulder breaking the bone to splinters, blowing through his chest and exiting just in front of the of side shoulder bone which flattened him. Both bullet exited and did a good thrashing on the way through.
A few elk right at the 500ish mark but nothing real dramatic, one shot in the crease behind the shoulder at mid line and they spin and may make it a few steps then they tip over.
Riley, I posted the hunt for this years bull on the shoulder shooting thread, didn't want to muck up your thread but it illustrates shot placement very well in comparison to your diagrams.
Thanks Rhian, i will go check out that thread. Great shot with that 270 WSM, although as you know it aint good for anything bigger than a texas whitetail .

270 WSM, Jack had it almost right...........

P.S. i saved the shoulder blades from my cow to test bullets with.

I'm 15
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/
Old 01-22-2013, 09:13 PM
Bronze Member

Elk 596 yards behind left shoulder between the ribs pass-thru taking out a rib on off side.
Muley 545 yards heart shot, was in 12" of snow and it looked like an airless paint sprayer had been there ....
338 WM 225 AB 2925 FPS
Bought a 338 RUM and set it up shootin 8" plate at 800 yd, openin morning this year killed mine going up thru the timber at 18 yards...... but the 225 SST @ 3225 FPS did perform well.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:18 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowhorse67 View Post
Elk 596 yards behind left shoulder between the ribs pass-thru taking out a rib on off side.
Muley 545 yards heart shot, was in 12" of snow and it looked like an airless paint sprayer had been there ....
338 WM 225 AB 2925 FPS
Bought a 338 RUM and set it up shootin 8" plate at 800 yd, openin morning this year killed mine going up thru the timber at 18 yards...... but the 225 SST @ 3225 FPS did perform well.
Nice shooting! I have heard some great things about the 225 grain Accubomb at LR. I am surprised the sst didnt blow up, i have heard the sst's were pretty fragile.

I'm 15
~George Washington

~ JE Custom

Old 01-22-2013, 10:11 PM
Bronze Member

yea I heard that too. My winmag shoots the ABs great, the RUM doesn't like em at all. The shot this year happened so fast, my first thought was look for how bad it exploded ! I don't think any other bullet would have done any better. Steep angle coming down to me almost head on,cleared a spruce and I caught it in left side of the neck/brisket and exit was right side last rib just outside the backstrap. It punched a hole about golf-ball size exit, the boiler room was destroyed. At 3225 FPS @ 12ft from the muzzle, I know the measured 53 ft did not have much loss of velocity.
So in spite of the internet , I'm gonna keep shootin' the SSTs.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:17 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowhorse67 View Post
yea I heard that too. My winmag shoots the ABs great, the RUM doesn't like em at all. The shot this year happened so fast, my first thought was look for how bad it exploded ! I don't think any other bullet would have done any better. Steep angle coming down to me almost head on,cleared a spruce and I caught it in left side of the neck/brisket and exit was right side last rib just outside the backstrap. It punched a hole about golf-ball size exit, the boiler room was destroyed. At 3225 FPS @ 12ft from the muzzle, I know the measured 53 ft did not have much loss of velocity.
So in spite of the internet , I'm gonna keep shootin' the SSTs.
Im surprised it even exited! Maybe their .338 SST's are built a little tougher? I would bet so.

I'm 15
~George Washington

~ JE Custom

Old 01-22-2013, 10:21 PM
Silver Member

Longest kill 1750 yards cow elk. 338 Allen Mag 300 grain Sierra Match King. 3290 fps bullet impact was a spine shot just behind the front shoulder. Animal dropped in its tracks.