Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting


Reply

300 Win Mag.........................Perfect for Elk?

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #36  
Old 08-12-2013, 07:51 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Allegan, MI
Posts: 1,246
Re: 300 Win Mag.........................Perfect for Elk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARPERC View Post
I've done it.

***How long did it take to die and did you shoot it more than once? I'm also not saying that it won't end up with a dead elk, but rather that it's just not a shot I would take just to fill a tag if a better shot wasn't presented. That is my call and if others want to do it I'm not going to change their mind or tell them not to and call them Elmer Fudd. It's just that I've hunted for 60 years and never ever seen a discussion like this where people are saying to take that shot if they have no other and to be honest I'm sort of in a state of shock reading those posts! I hope everyone has a great Fall and I'm outta here!
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 08-12-2013, 08:13 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: South of Canada and North of Wyoming
Posts: 5,953
Re: 300 Win Mag.........................Perfect for Elk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgun 30-06 View Post
Thanks, but I'll not take it somewhere else, as I have as much right on here to say that you shouldn't shoot an animal in the ass as those who say otherwise! For all of you ass shooters on the thread and in particular DR MIKE, who thinks he's an expert in anatomy and death, I wonder why you aren't an MD, LOL! Shooting an animal in the heart/lung area for a quick and humane and as close to an immediate kill as you can make has always been the tried and true method to take an animal and not shooting it through the ass when it's broadside!!! Your comments that it will die are correct, just like one shoot in the guts with a decent caliber, but HOW LONG will it live compared to a heart/lung shot is what makes the difference. Anyone that intimates that shooting an elk in the ass will do it in likeone to the frontal area is plain and simple full of bull! The site rule as far as I know is not to discuss the ethics of shooting at long range, but I don't believe there is anything that says there can be no discussion of where to shoot an animal whether it's at 100 or 1000 yards, regardless of what is being used.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgun 30-06 View Post
***That wasn't even a quote from you! It was from TikkaMike and I wouldn't argue that your shot up the rearend of an antelope is a lot different and lethal quickly compared to a broadside shot in the ass of a bull! Please refer to my previous post, as I have as much right as you to say where an animal should or shouldn't be shot.
No... you nor any of us have any rights here. Len, the owner has all the rights including the right to say what can be discussed and what can't. Keep pushing it and you'll find out the reality of that. Telling people where and how to shoot and not to shoot game to make humane kills delves into the "ethics" arena, which is strictly against forum rules.

Shooting an animal in the rear can be even more deadly than the lung shot as it will encounter more organs, arteries, etc., as it travels the length of the body. if you are implying the elk is just to large for such a shot... that all depends on what rifle and bullet you are using... which brings us back around to the topic of this thread.... which you are dragging us away from. That is where individual judgment comes in. There are no hard and fast rules. I have no doubt that a 300 WM shooting a good controlled expansion bullet could penetrate the full length of a big bull provided it had enough velocity. I would hesitate to use a frangible bullet for such a shot, but that is up to the decision of the hunter. If a frangible bullet broke down the pelvis and caused massive hemorrhaging, it would be just as effective as any lung shot. The animal would go nowhere and expire relatively quickly.

If you want to make the statement "I would not make such a shot because...." fine. But you are out of line when you tell others what they can and can't do in that regard in this forum.

So I would recommend dropping it... and let's get back to topic.
__________________
- Mark

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 08-12-2013, 08:32 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Allegan, MI
Posts: 1,246
Re: 300 Win Mag.........................Perfect for Elk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
No... you nor any of us have any rights here. Len, the owner has all the rights including the right to say what can be discussed and what can't. Keep pushing it and you'll find out the reality of that. Telling people where and how to shoot and not to shoot game to make humane kills delves into the "ethics" arena, which is strictly against forum rules.

Shooting an animal in the rear can be even more deadly than the lung shot as it will encounter more organs, arteries, etc., as it travels the length of the body. if you are implying the elk is just to large for such a shot... that all depends on what rifle and bullet you are using... which brings us back around to the topic of this thread.... which you are dragging us away from. That is where individual judgment comes in. There are no hard and fast rules. I have no doubt that a 300 WM shooting a good controlled expansion bullet could penetrate the full length of a big bull provided it had enough velocity. I would hesitate to use a frangible bullet for such a shot, but that is up to the decision of the hunter. If a frangible bullet broke down the pelvis and caused massive hemorrhaging, it would be just as effective as any lung shot. The animal would go nowhere and expire relatively quickly.

If you want to make the statement "I would not make such a shot because...." fine. But you are out of line when you tell others what they can and can't do in that regard in this forum.

So I would recommend dropping it... and let's get back to topic.

***Your reading comprehension is obviously pretty lousy as we are talking about broadside shots in the ass, not near or up the bunghole from behind that will put a well built bullet on up into the vitals! I also said those were MY ideas of what I would do or not do, was not imposing it on anyone, and I was outta here, so there was obviously no need for your post other than to keep stirring things up telling me what I can and can't do and I also don't see Moderator by your name!!! Now I am outta here like I said before and there is no reason for you come on again!
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 08-12-2013, 08:38 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 2,637
Re: 300 Win Mag.........................Perfect for Elk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgun 30-06 View Post
***How long did it take to die and did you shoot it more than once? I'm also not saying that it won't end up with a dead elk, but rather that it's just not a shot I would take just to fill a tag if a better shot wasn't presented. That is my call and if others want to do it I'm not going to change their mind or tell them not to and call them Elmer Fudd. It's just that I've hunted for 60 years and never ever seen a discussion like this where people are saying to take that shot if they have no other and to be honest I'm sort of in a state of shock reading those posts! I hope everyone has a great Fall and I'm outta here!
My moose shot broadside through the chest behaved much the same. A .375 caliber bullet expanded 3-4x passing through the chest cavity doesn't care if it was fired from north, south, east, or west. Over in the time it takes to rack the bolt. 3-5 seconds by the clock I suppose. It was absolutely dead by the time I walked the 25 yards between us.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 08-12-2013, 11:04 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Los Lunas, NM
Posts: 142
Re: 300 Win Mag.........................Perfect for Elk?

I thought this was about the 300 Win Mag. and elk. I feel like I need to go to get some product from Adam & Eve before I come back in here. Is that Dueling Banjos I hear playing? Yes the "Texas Heart shot" can be very deadly but I don't want to clean one out with the bullet going through intestines and stomach before lungs/heart. Luckily never gut shot one but I have nicked the stomach with my knife field dressing. That made me gag and puke and I use to pick up dead critters for a living so I have a pretty strong stomach.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 08-12-2013, 11:58 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: South of Canada and North of Wyoming
Posts: 5,953
Re: 300 Win Mag.........................Perfect for Elk?

Sparky, thanks for your profound contribution... if you puke and gag from nicking the stomach with your knife, maybe hunting isn't for you... maybe you should just get your meat from the butcher... just sayin...
__________________
- Mark

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 08-13-2013, 12:20 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: 4422′44″N 1082′35″W
Posts: 4,045
Re: 300 Win Mag.........................Perfect for Elk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgun 30-06 View Post
***Your reading comprehension is obviously pretty lousy as we are talking about broadside shots in the ass, not near or up the bunghole from behind that will put a well built bullet on up into the vitals! I also said those were MY ideas of what I would do or not do, was not imposing it on anyone, and I was outta here, so there was obviously no need for your post other than to keep stirring things up telling me what I can and can't do and I also don't see Moderator by your name!!! Now I am outta here like I said before and there is no reason for you come on again!
Hey Fudd... nobody I saying shoot a broadside animal in the ass. (Although it is lethal) we are talking up the ass... read back when I said I shot a deer up the tail pipe... tail pipe= ass hole... ..so you have failed yet again to make an intelligent argument....
__________________
Mike

Get a JOB! I already feed the bears, I dont need to feed you too!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC