Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

300 Win Mag.........................Perfect for Elk?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2013, 05:34 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 300 Win Mag.........................Perfect for Elk?

"Just said it was very lethal and no more or less painful to the animal than a lung shot."

***You are kidding right, LOL?!!! How about you let someone shoot you in the ass compared to a quick killing heart/lung shot if you're going to die and we'll see what you have to say about it being less painful! Every day that goes by it seems like I read some more garbage from people that just don't get what hunting is all about with a quick, humane kill the culmination of the hunt if everything goes right. If it doesn't result in a good shot to the vitals, there is always tomorrow guys!!!
Old 08-12-2013, 05:46 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgun 30-06 View Post
"Just said it was very lethal and no more or less painful to the animal than a lung shot."

***You are kidding right, LOL?!!! How about you let someone shoot you in the ass compared to a quick killing heart/lung shot if you're going to die and we'll see what you have to say about it being less painful! Every day that goes by it seems like I read some more garbage from people that just don't get what hunting is all about with a quick, humane kill the culmination of the hunt if everything goes right. If it doesn't result in a good shot to the vitals, there is always tomorrow guys!!!
No... I'm not kidding... are you? Seriously.... you shoot animals with guns and you're making your own set of rules for what is acceptable and what is not in inflicitng pain? Are YOU kidding? That speed goat buck I shot expired in less time than most of my double lunged critters.

We do not discuss the "ethics" of hunting in this forum. If you want to impose your rule set on someone, take it somewhere else.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 08-12-2013, 05:52 PM
Platinum Member

Obviously you have a poor understanding of what it takes to sustain life. ALL things die from lack of oxygen. No matter if its from a heart shot, lung shot, brain shot or an ass shot. If you cease to perfuse oxygen you cease to live.. if I get shot in the ass and the bullet breaks my pelvis I'm going to have massive bleeding and a break in the circulation system which means my blood pump is about to loose its prime and start sucking air... you can't live with air in the system... that's also lethal. Oxygen enters into the blood stream through gas exchange which is done at the cellular level.... so yeah go ahead and shoot me up the ass or in the chest... I'm going to die in the same amount of time +/- and I'll be in shock almost immediately so I won't feel much if any pain either... did i mention shock is also lethal??? Get of your high horse and learn what you are talking about before you go spouting off there elmer fudd.

Get a JOB! I already feed the bears, I dont need to feed you too!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 08-12-2013, 06:46 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBrad View Post
I suppose a lot of this has to do with regional traditions. When I was growing up the texas heart shot, as I learned to call it, was something you just didn't do. I never think about it when I'm hunting... it's just a shot I never thought to take. Other points are well taken though. A suitable caliber and bullet will sure enough do the job.
I've shot length way through a big black bear with a handgun, the bullets just happened to start at the front end, but the result would have been the same in either direction.
Those good handgun bullets will penetrate out of proportion to what most folks think. My number one goal when I shoot is recovery of that animal, marmot to moose. Again, lethality wise I am aiming at the organs in the chest, the ass is just in my way. A bullet that travels the full length of an animal will take out more tissue on its way through than a classic broadside shot. A broken pelvis will drop an animal as quickly the high shoulder shot thats become so popular. Bullet construction, weight, caliber and sectional density are critical though. Example of what I wouldn't try it with: My brother shot an antelope poorly (7mm mag) it was walking away from us, and we could not close the gap, the animal doesn't turn, and I stop it with a 165 grain Sierra at about 300 yards. The animal did stop, but the bullet blew apart and a few inches penetration was all I got. If that was my one experience with shooting an animal from behind I'd be on the other side of this discussion.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:12 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks, but I'll not take it somewhere else, as I have as much right on here to say that you shouldn't shoot an animal in the ass as those who say otherwise! For all of you ass shooters on the thread and in particular DR MIKE, who thinks he's an expert in anatomy and death, I wonder why you aren't an MD, LOL! Shooting an animal in the heart/lung area for a quick and humane and as close to an immediate kill as you can make has always been the tried and true method to take an animal and not shooting it through the ass when it's broadside!!! Your comments that it will die are correct, just like one shoot in the guts with a decent caliber, but HOW LONG will it live compared to a heart/lung shot is what makes the difference. Anyone that intimates that shooting an elk in the ass will do it in likeone to the frontal area is plain and simple full of bull! The site rule as far as I know is not to discuss the ethics of shooting at long range, but I don't believe there is anything that says there can be no discussion of where to shoot an animal whether it's at 100 or 1000 yards, regardless of what is being used.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:16 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
No... I'm not kidding... are you? Seriously.... you shoot animals with guns and you're making your own set of rules for what is acceptable and what is not in inflicitng pain? Are YOU kidding? That speed goat buck I shot expired in less time than most of my double lunged critters.

We do not discuss the "ethics" of hunting in this forum. If you want to impose your rule set on someone, take it somewhere else.

***That wasn't even a quote from you! It was from TikkaMike and I wouldn't argue that your shot up the rearend of an antelope is a lot different and lethal quickly compared to a broadside shot in the ass of a bull! Please refer to my previous post, as I have as much right as you to say where an animal should or shouldn't be shot.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:39 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgun 30-06 View Post
Anyone that intimates that shooting an elk in the ass will do it in likeone to the frontal area is plain and simple full of bull!
I've done it.