Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

300 Win Mag.........................Perfect for Elk?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2013, 09:39 AM
Platinum Member

Re: 300 Win Mag.........................Perfect for Elk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARPERC View Post
Okay I'll bite on this one.
You had me in agreement until the end. Maybe not in Colorado, but there are places if you want to see the front end of an elk, you'll need to shoot the ass end. With proper loads its very lethal and disabling. I've done it, feel no shame, and I'd do it again.
I agree with Carl, an ass shot is a very lethal shot if you are using the right equipment. A healthy understanding on how the human body works helps give an understanding on how animals bodies work to sustain life. an ass shot you have several ways to kill and the shot is almost unsurvivable. Femoral artery- dead Femur-dead from severe blood loss, hip bone-disabled and dead from severe blood loss then the organs North of all of that mess are all lethal shots too. Granted clipping a butt cheek is a lost elk so like all shots it needs to be a meticulous shot not a "im gonna shoot hair shot" but the ass shot works well its not the most classy shot but its a very lethal shot and will leave a heck of a blood trail. I shot a 150" whitetail last fall up the tail pipe took him a couple hundred yards to die but the highway of blood was an easy trail to follow and I am not ashamed a bit of the shot, I got a pretty nice deer that otherwise would have gotten away. Other than that I agree with your post though Brad, the shooter needs to be able to handle his equipment no doubt and a 7mm or a 300 can kill an elk. However I personally prefer the Diameter+weight= death theory

Get a JOB! I already feed the bears, I dont need to feed you too!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 08-12-2013, 03:46 PM
Platinum Member

I guess I didn't realize that some are hard up enough to fill a tag that they intentionally shoot an animal in the ass. Whatever lights your fire I guess, but most would probably say the animal beat me and I let it live to see another day if the only shot offered was the WRONG end!
Old 08-12-2013, 03:53 PM
Platinum Member

I will not judge or pass along an opinion on this type of shot. All hunting situations are different and details can change things in a split second.

Butt,, I will say, that you guys doing all this talking about "up the azz" or "up the tail pipe" stuff is making me feel a little ill. I think I will drink a beer and clean my elk rifle now.

Jeff
Old 08-12-2013, 04:01 PM
Platinum Member

I didn't know there was a wrong or right end? What's so sacred bout a critters *****? You shoot them... they die. You put meat in the freezer and a head on the wall.

Probably 95% of my shots have been double lungers. I did do the Texas Heart shot on a buck speed goat once. He turned away from me just as I was setting set up and it was plain to me the herd was moving out. So at about 200 yds I put the crosshairs on the crack and broke the trigger. He hunched up and fell over. the bullet performed like an enema... right between the hams. Found about 50% of it just under the hide of the shoulder.

So what is so sacred bout a critters *****? I don't get it?

Just to keep on track.... a 300 mag shot with a good bullet should do the trick about at any angle.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 08-12-2013, 04:05 PM
Platinum Member

Never said it was ideal or optimum. Just said it was very lethal and no more or less painful to the animal than a lung shot. I'm not above taking the shot. BecAuse in reality what does it matter? And why? I think a head shot is more irresponsible than an ass shot because a broken jaw/blindness is a very likely result. But it all comes to personal preference.

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 08-12-2013, 04:06 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
I didn't know there was a wrong or right end? What's so sacred bout a critters *****? You shoot them... they die. You put meat in the freezer and a head on the wall.

Probably 95% of my shots have been double lungers. I did do the Texas Heart shot on a buck speed goat once. He turned away from me just as I was setting set up and it was plain to me the herd was moving out. So at about 200 yds I put the crosshairs on the crack and broke the trigger. He hunched up and fell over. the bullet performed like an enema... right between the hams. Found about 50% of it just under the hide of the shoulder.

So what is so sacred bout a critters *****? I don't get it?

Just to keep on track.... a 300 mag shot with a good bullet should do the trick about at any angle.
Well said

Old 08-12-2013, 05:30 PM
Gold Member

I suppose a lot of this has to do with regional traditions. When I was growing up the texas heart shot, as I learned to call it, was something you just didn't do. I never think about it when I'm hunting... it's just a shot I never thought to take. Other points are well taken though. A suitable caliber and bullet will sure enough do the job.
I've shot length way through a big black bear with a handgun, the bullets just happened to start at the front end, but the result would have been the same in either direction.