Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

30.06 plenty gun for elk?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2014, 08:17 AM
Platinum Member

Re: 30.06 plenty gun for elk?

Whatever happened to ethics not spoken here?

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:47 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
I learned a long time ago not to argue with someone about killing elk when your standing there looking at a dead elk.
One round down like the little gal said, it was her shot and John was taking responsibility to coach her and the elk died before she hit the ground. There is nothing to argue about, dead elk is dead elk!!
Bigngreen- AGREED! I can only believe that someone who has not hunted/shot elk would say otherwise.
Old 04-02-2014, 02:33 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roninflag View Post
Bigngreen- AGREED! I can only believe that someone who has not hunted/shot elk would say otherwise.

I don't know if you were referring to one of the members in this thread or not, but if you were and it was me, I've been hunting them and helping others on their hunts for 20 years. Last year alone we took a 5x5, 6x7, and two cows and we don't use the small .243 to do it. This discussion is strictly talking about things that one person believes can hurt LRHing if things are not done properly just like anything else that might affect hunting itself and not anything against LRHing when done properly. I think the latter is what the "don't talk ethics" in the site rules refers to and I didn't bring up the .243 in this thread, but merely repsonded to a post like a couple others also did. Maybe I'm wrong and if it's a rules violation a Mod is free to delete them. PS: IMHO any time a discussion is about what caliber to use to do the job properly, especially at distance, it could easily be considered an ethics discussion. Therefore, it's a little on the vague side as to just exactly what isn't allowed.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:15 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgun 30-06 View Post
I don't know if you were referring to one of the members in this thread or not, but if you were and it was me, I've been hunting them and helping others on their hunts for 20 years. Last year alone we took a 5x5, 6x7, and two cows and we don't use the small .243 to do it. This discussion is strictly talking about things that one person believes can hurt LRHing if things are not done properly just like anything else that might affect hunting itself and not anything against LRHing when done properly. I think the latter is what the "don't talk ethics" in the site rules refers to and I didn't bring up the .243 in this thread, but merely repsonded to a post like a couple others also did. Maybe I'm wrong and if it's a rules violation a Mod is free to delete them. PS: IMHO any time a discussion is about what caliber to use to do the job properly, especially at distance, it could easily be considered an ethics discussion. Therefore, it's a little on the vague side as to just exactly what isn't allowed.
IMHHO, the bottom-line is end-user (regardless of experience and skill level, equipment used, personal ethics, etc ...) has the ultimate responsibility of their actions and must face all the consequences associated with it.

I don't think it's a rules violation but rather on of those unwritten rules that most LRH old timers (with all due respect and no pun intended) understood and live by.

Nope, I'm nowhere near the capabilities that most LRH members are at. We have varying equipment, experiences, skills, personal preferences, ethics, etc ..., and I think it's great and respectfully admire the differences --- and for that I'm thankful as I am constantly learning.

931 yards is the farthest I have harvested a game and hope to extend that in due time - practice, practice, practice.

Cheers!

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:17 PM
Gold Member

anyway. The 3006 is plenty for elk