Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

2014 elk hunt please help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2013, 09:08 PM
Gold Member

Re: 2014 elk hunt please help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlewis82nd View Post
Ok thank you, I am 26 and he is 53 he can still get around just fine. I have been told by a few people here in missouri that there is some good ground out by Ridgeway. Is anyone familiar with that area?
I've never hunted over there but two units border Ridgeway 62 and 65. 62 does border unit 61 to the south which may take yrs to draw a bull tag and I'm sure along that border between the two see lot of hunters unit 62. I know unit 61 takes 11yrs to draw archery tag and 16yrs for NR and up to 18yrs for rifle tag NR.

well good luck
Old 11-08-2013, 09:43 PM
Bronze Member

Honestly if your not from the area your going to spend a bunch of coin...why not go with an outfitter? I know a crap ton on places in Colorado when I was stationed there. But now in Montana, hunting them here. Go to canon city and head north west bunch on land. Or a little place called west cliff......but shhhh it's in Colorado.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:56 PM

Look at western colorado in the Glenwood springs area. I lived there since 2007 and had good luck elk hunting. My friends and I usually buy otc bull tags and leftover cow tags if we can get them. Craig Colorado boasts being the elk hunting capital of the USA, food for thought. There was a magazine article a few years ago about gmu 33 being prime country after that I've heard there is a lump of orange on every ridge and rock, might want to avoid that area. An ex co-worker grew up hunting that unit and has since quite do to the amount of people hunting there now. Best of luck to you and your father on planning a hunt.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:12 PM
Bronze Member

Thank you all so very much. It really does help.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:11 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlewis82nd View Post
Thank you all so very much. It really does help.
One problem we have in Co is the OTC bull tags so there no quote on hunters and there is 86 game units 2/3 season for those OTC tags west of I-25 and their is 34 game unit west of I-25 no OTC tag are available.

Good game units your going to see hunters no way around that and it could be first time hunter to some like me that may hunt 36yrs same units. I've killed bull's same unit but not same location and sometime may not fill a tag.

It's nothing to see elk camp set 2/3 wks before season locals do it all the time. I can also count those that have a pack string for hunting and just because outfitter has a permit for certain unit/units doesn't me he own the hunting rights.

I kind of like hunting above timberline vs some units you may not have that same as I know some that can seat all day watch or the one's that hunt the dark timber. It's not a one size fits all got to figure out what you like if I had to hunt the dark timber I quit hunting and I sure don't like it for archery either.

Got some good friend that hunt a unit why not take their advice good place to start.
Old 11-12-2013, 05:44 PM

I'm stationed in Fort Carson and just did this....took my dad on an elk hunt.

Didnt get anything, but saw some.

I'll gather some info of where we went and some other places I heard about.

regards
Old 11-13-2013, 12:40 AM
Bronze Member

Thank you that would help alot!