Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

2014 elk hunt please help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2013, 02:54 AM
Bronze Member

2014 elk hunt please help

Hello I am trying to plan a elk hunt for the 2014 season. Im not picky on a state I just want to get my dad out west and get a elk on the ground. I would like over the counter tags but will put in for a draw. we are not sexist we just want elk! I will get back from Afghanistan around May-June and really want to make a trip happen. If someone could give me advice on where to go i would greatly appreciate it.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:36 AM
Gold Member

Re: 2014 elk hunt please help

What part of the country are you from? That might help in making a decision. I don't know a bunch about the other states, but Colorado has a ton of options for areas to hunt with over the counter tags available in a bunch of units. If you want to keep the price down, cow tags are the way to go. If you want a cow tag, the best bet is to put in for the draw, although they can be had as leftover tags for some areas. Do some searching around on here, it will have a bunch of answers for you including statistics on certain areas as well as draw results, etc: Colorado Parks and Wildlife | Colorado Parks and Wildlife
Old 11-01-2013, 09:12 AM
Bronze Member

I am from Missouri but the plan was to come from Colorado. Can you give me any advise on a place to go in Colorado.
Old 11-01-2013, 09:25 AM
Gold Member

Honestly there are so many different areas of Colorado that are good that I couldn't really suggest one over the other without actually hunting each of them. If it were me, I would start by looking at the success rates of units that either have OTC bull tags or a 100% draw result for cow or bull. You will learn a lot about what general areas have higher success rates over another. Once you do that, get your list down to a few units and start the research. You can do a lot of online scouting as well as talking to the local DOW offices. Generally speaking, they will be able to give you a lot of advice on areas to start looking within a unit. There is also a bunch of information online if you search hard enough, and sometimes people are even willing to give you some good advice on specific units in threads like these.

Best of luck!
Old 11-01-2013, 10:05 AM
Bronze Member

Thank you so much for the info I appreciate it.
Old 11-01-2013, 10:30 AM
Silver Member

If you decide to come to Colorado start here: Plan Your Hunt | Colorado Parks and Wildlife

Since getting your father out west on an elk hunt is mentioned, what type of elk hunt you want will help determine the area. If your father is fit and wants to climb mountains the San Juans, Flat Tops, or any of the mountainous areas in central Colorado are open to you.

On the other hand, if high altitude hiking isn't desired, western Colorado is a better choice. Lots of oil/gas well roads that give access by vehicle to elk country. Great optics and Hunting Maps on a mapping GPS (available on this site) are essential equipment. Much of the area is steep pinyon canyons where a long range rifle can stretch its legs shooting across them.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:58 PM
Bronze Member

Ok thank you, I am 26 and he is 53 he can still get around just fine. I have been told by a few people here in missouri that there is some good ground out by Ridgeway. Is anyone familiar with that area?