Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Elk Hunting

Elk Hunting Techniques For Elk Hunting

08 Husband and wife elk sucess

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2008, 06:54 PM
Silver Member

08 Husband and wife elk sucess

We had a great year. I took a bull with my bow during Anyweapons season. (actually the first day) And my wife took a nice cow a week later in the same spot(her first elk).

We had a rough winter and I was suprised to see how healthy these elk were. Heavy and fatter than any I have ever seen. I was fortunate enough to get to pack both of these out by myself. LQQK at the neck on this bull. OCT. 10 and he was still riding the cows.

Old 12-20-2008, 07:08 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 08 Husband and wife elk sucess

Congratulations to both you and your wife. You're lucky having a wife that also likes to hunt. My wife went hunting with me for the first time this year. She's getting a late start at it but really enjoyed it.

Did you by any chance find any old wounds on his right side when skinning him? The reason I ask is because of his unusual second on his left side.

I was told long ago by a taxidermist that unusual horn formation on one side is often caused by an old wound on the opposite side of the animals body and I've found many instances over the years that, at least for me, has proven this theory true.
Old 12-20-2008, 07:14 PM
Silver Member

Re: 08 Husband and wife elk sucess

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss7mm View Post
Congratulations to both you and your wife. You're lucky having a wife that also likes to hunt. My wife went hunting with me for the first time this year. She's getting a late start at it but really enjoyed it.

Did you by any chance find any old wounds on his right side when skinning him? The reason I ask is because of his unusual second on his left side.

I was told long ago by a taxidermist that unusual horn formation on one side is often caused by an old wound on the opposite side of the animals body and I've found many instances over the years that, at least for me, has proven this theory true.
I looked and looked hard. No scares or anything. He was the healthiest elk I have taken and he was #7.

The 2nd elk I took was a crazy looking raghorn with one large main beam and the other sid ewas stubby with stickers all over it. We found 2 muzzy broadheads in him (actually both were in his lungs and looks like tumors until we reoves the tissue from them. I figure that was the reason for the funny antler growth.