Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Antelope Hunting

wyoming antelope unit 44 help?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2014, 10:21 PM

wyoming antelope unit 44 help?

My hunting group and I did a lot of research and decided that unit 44 had the easiest draw odds. Being non-residents and our first trip ever hunting Wyoming, thought it would be fun and a good excuse to go try some goat hunting. I know there is 2 HMA and a little public land. Has anyone ever hunted it before? Just looking for a good place to start and look into, scouting isn't an option cause we live in Colorado, any help would be greatly appreciated thanks for the replies in advance
Old 06-20-2014, 09:04 AM
Platinum Member

Re: wyoming antelope unit 44 help?

You really don't have much choice other than the very limited public land in the southwest corner of the unit or to try and get on an HMA. You'll need to wait for the update to see if they renew them this year and any are still available since that part of the G&F site is being updated and until it's back on and showing the HMAs are still in the progam you can't count on them. The very limited public land in 44 is the reason that's an easy tag to draw, so you'll need a lot of luck to have a decent hunt there.
Old 06-20-2014, 03:44 PM
Silver Member

I would start here.

Hunting GPS Maps - Public/Private Land Ownership names for your GPS

And call Wy. F&G

Laramie Regional Office
528 S. Adams
Laramie, WY 82070
(307) 745-4046
Old 06-20-2014, 04:14 PM
Platinum Member

I live and hunt in wyoming all the time and I assure you you will have more than a decent hunt. Topgun is being a little harsh. Land owners seem to HATE antelope which will work to your advantage. some of them see antelope hunters as a source of income but id say quite a few will grant free permission to hunt and some may want a small fee. and a few will either say no or want to charge an arm and a leg.. The antelope know where private/public land is and so hunting public land exclusively may be a little tricky but itll still be fun. Knock on some doors and have some fun. And a trick I have learned is dont go knocking on doors dressed in orange head to toe. show up looking like a normal human being and be polite. you will find a good spot to hunt no problem

Anything less than overkill is underachievement!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 06-20-2014, 05:27 PM

Thanks for the good information, I have contacted the Laramie office alreadyand they were quite helpful. As far as GPS maps I am getting one this weekend to start studying it and hopefully contact a nice landowner. I appreciate the info, we are just looking for a good hunt on goats without breaking the bank and since it takes so long to draw a good tag in Colorado this was our best option. It makes me feel better about our choice after hearing we should have a good hunt
Old 06-20-2014, 06:43 PM
Platinum Member

I sure don't hear a lot of people on all the different websites I'm on telling how easy it is to get permission to hunt bucks in Wyoming without getting into their wallet pretty good nowadays. Yes, a lot of the ranches allow free doe hunting, especially after the first few days of the season, but you may be surprised at this late date when you start calling people asking to hunt bucks. I hope I'm wrong and it works out for you!

Last edited by Topgun 30-06; 06-20-2014 at 09:38 PM.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:38 PM

It would be great to be able to contact a landowner that would give permission to hunt bucks for free or a small fee. But we are not counting on it, we knew what we were getting into when we applied for the tag. Just excited about the opportunity to go to a new state and try our hand at getting some goats on the ground. Does anyone know anything about the limited public ground in the unit? We will definitely apply for the HMA when it's available but don't want to bank on getting the early permission, just happens we are not lucky all the time like some people. Thanks again for the responses I really appreciate it