Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Antelope Hunting

Wyoming Antelope Doe OTC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2012, 11:20 AM
Gold Member

Wyoming Antelope Doe OTC

I put in for Antelope Unit 29 and Mule Deer Gen B and should draw both with my pref points. Can you usually buy an otc doe tag in wyoming?I want to do a buck doe mount. I had an antelope doe in CO but the taxidermist closed and screwed a lot of people out of mounts and hoping get another doe and mount them todgether, plus I love the meat
Old 05-13-2012, 02:19 PM
Gold Member

Re: Wyoming Antelope Doe OTC

If last year is any indication, you should be able to pick up a Doe/Fawn tag or two when the left over licenses go on sale July 17th.
In unit 29 last year the were 946 Doe/Fawn tags allotted and only 348 were picked up in the draw.

Dave

http://wgfd.wyo.gov/web2011/Departme...onRes_2011.pdf
"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded, controlled, supervised, and taken care of."
--Rep. Suzanna Gratia Hupp (TX)
Old 05-13-2012, 03:04 PM
Gold Member

Another question, my outfitter won't let me shoot a doe, anyone know an outfitter in that area that will let me shoot a doe??
Old 05-13-2012, 04:23 PM
Silver Member

Contact the Fish and game biologist for that area. They usually will know who you can contact. Many of the ranchers will let you shoot a doe for free. Also look at public land in the area and walk in areas. Shouldn't be too difficult to get one. Bruce
Old 06-19-2012, 01:47 PM
Platinum Member

Unit 29 has 169 Type 6 leftover doe/fawn antelope tag good for anywhere in the unit and 189 Type 7 tags good only in the southwest corner south of I-25. What is the reason your outfitter won't let you take a couple does? Normally all the ranchers/outfitters want a few taken to keep the herd in balance. By him not wanting you to take a couple makes me wonder if the numbers are way down on the ranch you'll be hunting. That's the only thing I can think of and I hope I'm wrong. Call the G&F in Cheyenne or Casper and see which one has a list of ranchers that will let you on for a doe hunt. Many times those hunts are freebies for the reason I mentioned earlier.
Old 06-19-2012, 03:36 PM
Gold Member

He is old school and thinks shooting does might decrease his bucks, could be low numbers but he says he has lots of bucks, time will tell for sure. I will call fish and wildlife and see if they have a list of ranches, thanks for the info
Old 06-19-2012, 03:49 PM
Platinum Member

There are some people that just don't realize or go along with the biological fact that you need to shoot does when any herd is at or near carrying capacity. Take care and good luck on your hunt. I got a great tag in a unit that takes a few PPs to draw, will buy a leftover doe tag and buck deer tag. My buddy in Sheridan hit the jackpot this year. He drew an antelope tag in my unit, LE bull and cow elk tags, and a hard to draw LE mulie tag, so it looks like I'll be out there from mid September into the first part of November before I head up to ND for a week of pheasant hunting with my dog before heading back here.