Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Antelope Hunting

Wyoming Antelope Between Snows

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2013, 09:55 PM
Gold Member

Re: Wyoming Antelope Between Snows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpalot View Post
Congrats and nice shot!!!! Just sad to hear you used Sy and his crew. Not very well thought of around Casper.
Now Jympalot, you can't just sling a statement like that out there and expect us to just accept it as fact. That's not fair to this outfitter it us. Now, I can't really say I know Sy.

I've talked to him twice and met him on opening morning. His guides seemed professional and my personal guide really went out of his way to make my hunt what I expected. I wanted to make my hunt about long range shooting and how did just that. I had a great hunt that was worth the money I paid for it.

I also did a lot of checking on Sy and his outfit once I got to Casper. Everyone I talked to in the hunting industry had nothing but good things to say about him.

Now, if you have something specific to say about why you think he's not well thought of around Casper, I'd be interested in hearing it. Is it something about his business or more about him personally?
Old 10-13-2013, 10:07 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimrodmar10 View Post
Now Jympalot, you can't just sling a statement like that out there and expect us to just accept it as fact. That's not fair to this outfitter it us. Now, I can't really say I know Sy.

I've talked to him twice and met him on opening morning. His guides seemed professional and my personal guide really went out of his way to make my hunt what I expected. I wanted to make my hunt about long range shooting and how did just that. I had a great hunt that was worth the money I paid for it.

I also did a lot of checking on Sy and his outfit once I got to Casper. Everyone I talked to in the hunting industry had nothing but good things to say about him.

Now, if you have something specific to say about why you think he's not well thought of around Casper, I'd be interested in hearing it. Is it something about his business or more about him personally?
Known Sy for over twenty years. Used to coach his daughter. Really like the guy as long as hunting isn't the subject. His outfitting business is known to buy up leases and then hunt it until there's hardly anything left in it and then go somewhere else and do the same thing. Would rather not comment anymore in this thread and take away from it. Feel free to PM me. Once again, congrats to the OP. I apologize for getting this off track.
Old 10-13-2013, 10:39 PM
Platinum Member

Just curious if you read my questions. Would love to know your data if not having reservations on sharing. Thanks.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:05 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek M. View Post

I'm curious about the 6.5. What powder did you use and brass and primer? What is the barrel length and contour? Same questions for the 300 please.

Derek
Derek
I'm not ignoring you, I've just been busy this weekend shooting. I don't mind sharing information on loads, just always remember to work up to loads you get from unproven sources.
The 6.5-284 is in a Savage 111 LRH. It has a slim hunter taper barrel on it that has a 24" barrel, not including the selectable muzzle brake. The load is as follows:

57.5 gr. Retumbo
Fed. 210M primer
Lapua Brass
3.176" COAL
Berger 140 gr. VLD Hunter bullet
Velocity in my gun runs 3027 fps. The Savage is a long action, so I can seat the bullet long, with a .010" jam into the lands, and still fit into the magazine. By seating the bullet out longer than SAMMI specs, I also get 4-5 grains more usable case capacity without raising chamber pressure.

The Remington 700 XCR Long Range Tactical has a heavy conture, fluted barrel 26" long.

The load for the 300 Win. Mag. Is:

73 gr. RL22
Fed. 215M primers
W-W Brass
Berger 190 gr. VLD Hunter bullet
Velocity in my rifle is 3005 fps
The bullet is seated to just touch the lands and will still fit the factory internal magazine.
As always, before you try these loads, reduce them by 10% and work up. I load hot and they may be dangerous in your rifle
Hope this helps Derek.
Martin
Old 10-14-2013, 09:28 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpalot View Post
His outfitting business is known to buy up leases and then hunt it until there's hardly anything left in it and then go somewhere else and do the same thing.
That's about what I figured you were going to say. We've all seen the same thing, where a guide leases a lot of the private land, causing local hunter to loose historical hunting spots. It's the nature of the game. When it's my hunting spot, I get mad too. As far as him over hunting his leases, I couldn't say either way. The only lease I saw was the one I hunted on, and it was covered with antelope that acted like they had never been hunted. I probably saw 10 or more 14"+ bucks the first day if the hunt. In my book, that's not over hunted.

One thing I do know about Area 25, after having driven over most of it in the days prior to my hunt, is that there is nearly no public land on it that you can get to. I had the Antelope GPS map that showed public/private land and I only saw about 2 places where the public road crossed or bordered public land, and they were small parcels. That's why I hired an outfitter, so I would have a place to hunt. Here in Tennessee we've had to start leasing our own hunting spots to keep the big city hunters from coming in and leasing the good hunting areas. I'm afraid that's the future of hunting.