Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Antelope Hunting

Wyoming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2011, 09:48 AM

Wyoming

Hello folks, I am trying to plan an antelope hunt in Wyoming and need some advice. We are going to have a party of 4-6. I am thinking of putting in for Unit 7, Unit 32 (type 2), and maybe Unit 63. For non-residents, are these good units to put in for and possible get drawn?

Also, how do you locate ranchers who are willing to let you hunt their property with a fee? I've never done this before, I've always hunted white tail in Tennessee, Georgia, and Alabama. Any help would be appreciated.

thanks,
Derrick
Old 03-01-2011, 10:23 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Wyoming

Units 7 and 32-2 are pretty much 100% draw with no Preference Points, while unit 63 would take several Points to have a chance at drawing a tag. I don't know anything about the latter two, but 7 is a good hunt with over 20,000 acres of WIHA private land that is open to the public for walkin hunting, as well as some BLM land and quite a bit of National Grasslands that are open. You can stay in Newcastle, as it's only a few miles east of the unit and the best hunting is in the eastern half of the unit. I would wait and not go out until about the second week of the season, get off the roads and do some walking as it's good spot/stalk country and you will have fun. You can see a map of the WIHA if you go onto the G&F website and highlight "Public access" on the left side and then click on "the Walkin In hunting" section when it comes up. That will then allow you to go over and click on "Weston County". When that loads you can click on Map#2 and enlarge it to see all of the WIHA land. You probably won't need to pay a rancher for access with all the land that is open, but if you want to get a list of ranchers that charge a fee you can call the Gillette G&F Office for that information or the Newcastle Chamber of Commerce.

Last edited by Topgun 30-06; 03-01-2011 at 10:39 PM.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:29 AM

Topgun, thanks for the response. I will definitely consider #7. I'm really looking forward to going, never hunted out that way. It's going to be a lot different than hunting from a tree stand.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:57 AM
Silver Member

That's for sure and for certain!
Old 03-09-2011, 04:14 PM
Bronze Member

Yeah it'll be 'real' hunting. I really don't understand how so many people can just sit there all day long and wait for something to walk in front of them, and call themselves 'hunters'. Get out and go find the animal, that's real hunting and a fair chase. Just my .02, good luck with whatever you decide.

Scott
Old 03-09-2011, 04:25 PM
Platinum Member

The last post must have been made by a younger person who hasn't been all over the country to see what different methods need to be used for certain animals. Take for instance, bow hunting big whitetails in the midwestern states is not a "spot and stalk" sport like mulie hunting out in the Wyoming open spaces! Each animal has certain favored ways to hunt it effectively and one is not to say another is not a hunter because they do it differently than another. This website is a perfect example in that many decry long range shooting!
Old 03-10-2011, 07:02 AM

Topgun, I couldn't have said it better. If someone can spot and stalk a whitetail through the woods of North Georgia, they are a better man than me.