Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Antelope Hunting

WY western units

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2012, 10:02 AM
Silver Member

WY western units

Can someone give me some advice on units 98, 99, 100. Myself and buddy will be coming from Sacramento and don't have much time to scout it. Only going for doe so we are looking for something quick to get in and out of. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 02-17-2012, 03:41 PM
Platinum Member

Re: WY western units

If you will just be going on a quick hunt for meat, just get a good map of the units showing the legal roads where you can access the public lands and then have a GPS with a chip in it for landownership so you don't trespass. Shooting a couple does shouldn't be a big problem, but unless you plan on staying on blacktop and/or gravel roads you should at least have a 4x4 PU with a set of chains along in case it rains or snows. Sometimes you even need to chain all 4 wheels if you get out in the boonies and get precipitation because the soil in a lot of areas is slicker than pig in slop when they get wet.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:28 AM
Silver Member

It will be a meat hunt. Do these areas have pleanty of public access? Do the public access areas hold Antelope?
Old 02-18-2012, 11:07 AM
Platinum Member

I think you need to start doing some homework on your own, instead of relying on everyone to answer all your questions that can be answered by getting on the F&G website and getting some maps. Are you just looking at those units because they are the closest to where you live, as that's what it looks like. I'll answer a few things and then you're on your own. Unit 98 is app 75% public land and had more people apply for the doe tags than tags available, which means you would need to put in for the draw for that unit and hope to draw a tag because there are no leftovers. Unit 99 is only 25% public and there were about 75 tags left after the draw last year, which is probably due to lack of public land to hunt on. Unit 100 is mostly public land in the northern 1/3 and the southern 2/3rds is checkerboard land with every other mile being private property. That unit had approximately 20 tags left over after the draw last year, which IMO is too close to count on leftovers after the draw. All of these units open on 9/10. Hope that helps you some!
Old 02-18-2012, 11:58 AM
Silver Member

Thanks for the info.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:49 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgun 30-06 View Post
I think you need to start doing some homework on your own, instead of relying on everyone to answer all your questions that can be answered by getting on the F&G website and getting some maps. Are you just looking at those units because they are the closest to where you live, as that's what it looks like. I'll answer a few things and then you're on your own. Unit 98 is app 75% public land and had more people apply for the doe tags than tags available, which means you would need to put in for the draw for that unit and hope to draw a tag because there are no leftovers. Unit 99 is only 25% public and there were about 75 tags left after the draw last year, which is probably due to lack of public land to hunt on. Unit 100 is mostly public land in the northern 1/3 and the southern 2/3rds is checkerboard land with every other mile being private property. That unit had approximately 20 tags left over after the draw last year, which IMO is too close to count on leftovers after the draw. All of these units open on 9/10. Hope that helps you some!
Look I am sick of this attitude. One of the biggest reasons people, myself included, come to a forum is to discuss things with people we share hobbies with. It is nice that you helped but it could have been done without the first few sentences of your post. That attitude is something I would expect on other forums which I will not name. I do not expect on here. To the OP of the units you listed the only one you really have a shot at drawing a tag in is 98. Unit 98 was in the 90s for draw odds last year and was 100% the year before. You could draw in 95 or 89 but I am not familiar with these units and would be afraid of number of animals you would see and I have not looked at access maps. If you have any more question feel free to PM me. Most of us are here to help.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:04 AM
Platinum Member

Sick of what attitude? He thanked me for my advice, LOL! I told the guy he needs to do a little bit on his own and then gave him as much or more information as you did (some of which was completely wrong, by the way), after looking everything up in the F&G website and on my CD-ROM, all of which took at least 20 minutes of my time when it was all there for him with a little time of his own spent on HIS hunt! I wll help everybody and have done so on Forums like this and with so many emails and PMs I could never count them. I've even invited a couple people out to hunt with me that I only knew from contacts on a Forum like this, so take YOUR attitude and let me the heck alone!!! As far as your information, you might want to go back to the drawing board because he has the same chance as anyone else in the reduced doe/fawn drawings because there are no preference points used and it's a straight up random drawing. That's where my stats came from and for you to tell him what you did was incorrect! His chances of drawing a tag are best in 100 where there were 97 tags issued last year and there were 29 first choice and 49 second choice applicants for a total of 78 tags taken, leaving some leftovers for sale in July. 99 would have been next easiest as there were 357 tags in the draw with 165 first choice applicants and 117 second choice applicants for a total of 282 tags taken in the draw and leaving the remaining up for sale in July. Unit 98 is the TOUGHEST of the three, not the easiest as you stated. There were 302 tags in the draw and 317 people applied as a first choice and 210 as a second choice. Therefore, he would definitely have to put in for the draw, list it as a first choice, and still might not even get a tag since the odds were below 100% for the unit you told him was easiest!