Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Antelope Hunting

WY Rules on rifles in vehicles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2012, 12:28 PM
Bronze Member

WY Rules on rifles in vehicles

All:

I've searched high and low on the G & F website for WY. I cannot find anywhere the state's laws on uncased and/or loaded firearms in a truck. Since antelope is largely done from glassing in the truck...I'd like to know.

Here in IA I have a CCW permit, so I can have a loaded and/or uncased firearm in my vehicle without issue. We don't have much of a rifle season, but it comes in handy for many during shotgun or while hunting coyotes.

Before I get myself into trouble for not knowing...I'd rather ask the group here what the actual laws are.

No rounds would be in the chamber, but it's easier to have the rifle uncased and the mag loaded.

Thanks
Old 02-03-2012, 03:47 PM
Gold Member

Re: WY Rules on rifles in vehicles

This was copied and pasted from the 2011 Black Bear Hunting Brochure, but the same paragraph also appears in my 2011 Antelope Brochure.

Dave

 Firearms; automatic weapon or silencer prohibited.**
No person shall take into or possess in the game fields
or forests of Wyoming any fully automatic weapon or
device designed to silence or muffle the report of any
firearm. Wyoming has no restrictive laws concerning
firearms that may be legally possessed under the laws
of one’s home state. Firearms may be carried uncased
in vehicles,* *although safety dictates that all firearms in
a vehicle should be unloaded with action open.

http://gf.state.wy.us/web2011/Depart...3_Brochure.pdf
"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded, controlled, supervised, and taken care of."
--Rep. Suzanna Gratia Hupp (TX)
Old 02-03-2012, 04:47 PM
Platinum Member

you can have anything in your vehicle that you can legally own. loaded , unloaded cased or uncased, you can conceal it or carry it openly it does not matter, there are restrictions on what you can and can not hunt with and that is in your hunting regulation but basically for rifles anything center fire over 23 caliber and any handgun that produces 500 ft/lbs at 100 yards, no silencers or fully automatic and must shoot expanding tip bullets (no fmj)

Get a JOB! I already feed the bears, I dont need to feed you too!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 02-04-2012, 12:24 PM
Silver Member

For what it's worth, I always slip my rifle into a soft case when I get back in the truck, it doesn't take long and protects the gun from bumps and the ever present dust.

Bob
Old 02-04-2012, 03:33 PM
Platinum Member

I know of no law that specifically states: Firearms must be unloaded when in a vehicle.

However, under Prohibited Acts. It is Illegal to: Carry a firearm with a cartridge therein.................?? (This is also in the hunting regulations!!)
Now tell me, how is it possible to hunt/shoot a game animal with an unloaded gun? Some of these laws are very unclear and unfortunately that leaves them open to interpretation, the hunters interpretation vs the game wardens interpretation vs the courts interpretation, ect.

Example: Firearms may be carried uncased
in vehicles,* *although safety dictates that all firearms in
a vehicle should be unloaded with action open.

They dont say it's illegal or prohibited, but does this mean they can cite you for commiting an unsafe act with a firearm??....Laws should not be vague and open to interpretation.

FWIW, my guns are always loaded (at very least the magazine) and everytime I've been aproached by LE, they've never cited me for having a loaded gun. Although they often ask if the gun is loaded........I often reply "yes, it wouldn't be much good if it wasn't." I did get cited once for having a concealed handgun in my vehicle, but the ticket was dropped if I applied for a Concealed Firearm Permit.......which I did, and now have.

The Wyoming Concealed Firearm Statutes say nothing anywhere about loaded or unloaded firearms, in vehicles or otherwise. It does state that "A person who wears or carries a concealed deadly weapon is guilty of a misdemeanor"....on and on so forth, unless permitted, ect..........it says nothing about transport or guns in vehicles.

Typically and historically, Wyoming law is Pro Freedom. What I mean is; Unless there is a specific law or statement proclaiming something as illegal, then it is not considered illegal...................There is in fact a State Statute that says this. However, lately there appear to be those in power attempting to "read things into the laws", and thereby making things illegal that otherwise wouldn't be.

Another law that is vague in the G&F rules is spotlighting bobcats and badgers. They are in fact predators and spotlighting predators is allowed on private land with landowners written permission. However, some game wardens consider them furbearers (because they are also classified a furbearing animal), and therefore not included in the predator standard when it comes to hunting with artificial light.??

I have intentions of bringing these questions up to the Game and Fish at the next legislative meeting. If you can think of anything else that needs to be addressed, please post it here.

Old 02-04-2012, 06:12 PM
Platinum Member

Bump to top for comments

Old 02-04-2012, 09:12 PM
Platinum Member

SBruce is correct about interpretation. While I've had nothing, but good interactions with the Wyoming F&G folks, here in Washington a few years back, after having a case tossed, the F&G spokesperson responded "We don't care about the law we're going to keep writing tickets, cause most folks will just pay them'. Speed trap mentality!
Trying to get a "feel" for what the individual agents take on things can be difficult. I called once when we were coming to hunt antelope, to ask, as we like to scout other areas, when we're done can we coyote hunt, when we tag out? Also don't like leaving our guns unattended. Never quite got an answer, as to whether we would get a ticket, it was all how the agent involved was going to interpret the situation. A pure "varmint" rifle would likely be viewed more positively than our 338's.