Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Antelope Hunting

Wy antelope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2013, 11:32 AM

Wy antelope

Hi all,
New to this forum and just curious how many people have hunted ant unit 27, we were successful this year in a27 and also a gen b deer and doing a DIY hunt. This will be our first time ever out west just wanted to here some first hand experiences and what to expect.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:34 PM
Silver Member

Re: Wy antelope

I don't hunt there (I hunt area 7, just north of it) but I do know the area, there are tons of antelope in that area, and deer.

It's got a lot of public land, plenty to hunt on, the problems is its interlaced with private land it its going to be hard to tell which is which.

I would highly recommend getting a chip for the Garmin that shows public and private land so you know where you're at.

That could make or brake your hunt.

With the chips help you'll have a successful hunt in that area. It's not too far from right which has limited hotels.

Personally I'd rather camp on the prairie.

You're gonna do good.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:39 PM
Silver Member

I scouted that unit last fall for a couple days after my hunt in 23. The GPS map chip is a must to hunt out there, it will eliminate any grief you may have other than maybe those little flat cactus...
My hope was too draw that unit this year..... but no it was not to be. If you can get in a day or 2 of scouting before the season starts you can learn a ton. Either way you will have a blast if you've never done it before.
A range finder is a big help and binocs will tell you a lot too. Don't shoot the first buck you see. You'll know when to shoot, the better bucks definitely stand out. Give 'em the single shot they deserve.
Good luck.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:14 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
A range finder is a big help
Careful there, the mid priced range finders don't work as well as they are suppose to. Something like the Terrapin would work but there about 2 grand.

Not a lot to lock on on the prairie, I've found mil dots to be more accurate.

Just have to learn the size of the antelope, they are about 14.5 on the average from top of their back to the bottom of their stomach.

An example if on Mil Dot covers the critter, its about 415 yards, 1 1/2 mils its about 278, 2 mils its 208.

What I like to do is find my Max Point Blank Zero. Meaning the vital area on an antelope is about 8.5 inches. So I find a zero that I'm never more then 4 inches high or 4 inches low, so I don't have to worry about hold overs. That's about 275 yards for my rifle, I'm good to 350 yards with my PBZ. That's 1.2 mils.

Watch the wind.

People tend to over estimate the range of antelope. Reason being they are small, plus they'll be in tall grass.

As I said, unless you have a high quality LRF they don't work. Nothing to hit on as you can see from the below picture.

Old 07-23-2013, 05:38 PM
Silver Member

The wind never stops out there.
I have a Leupold Rx1,000. Bought it on sale at Cabellas for $250, it will range a soft target @ 500 yards every time in an instant. The buck I finally shot I initially ranged a rock near where they were laying. 1300 yards. Closed the distance to 242 and sealed the deal. I wouldn't go out there without it.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:45 PM
Platinum Member

I have no idea why the comment was made about deer by kraigwy because that whole area of the state sucks for mule deer other than a few ranches here and there. All the units are bucks only and unit 10 where your antelope area is (27) has been so bad that the locals finally convinced the G&F to go to just a 7 day season (10/1-10/7) with at least 3 points on one antler. There are no doe permits being issued anywhere in Region B, even on private land because the deer numbers are so low. I hunted that entire area hard for over a week back in 2010 and saw 5 deer and 4 of those were two does with fawns in one bunch! One rancher I talked to said I could hunt his ranch for free, but I'd be wasting my time because he hardly ever sees a deer on the place. After that hunt and hearing the same thing from others on the net that have been there the last few years you couldn't pay me to go there again. IMHO if I were you I'd hunt real hard and long for a good goat and pray you even see a deer to shoot.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:26 PM
Silver Member

Mr Topgun, I don't know where you get your information.

Deer Area 10, (which covers Antelope Area 27) does have deer, lots of them.

But its more of a white tail area then Mule deer. Mule deer is limited to a one week buck only, w/the 3 pt rule.

However, as I said, this area is a white tail area. The white tail season goes from Oct 1 to Nov 30. This includes any limited draw any deer and doe/fawn.

Take a trip from Newcastle to Wright on Hwy 450 in the evening and tell me there are no mule deer in Wyoming. Try to play golf in Newcastle and tell me there are no mule deer.

I don't normally hunt does (except when teaching my grand kids to hunt) but this year in addition to my gen tag, I got doe tags for the sole purpose of shooting does eating my hay in my front yard. Its not just private land, I live in the Black Hills bordering National Forest.

Also I'm 10 miles from town, I challenge you to make the trip from my house to Newcastle without finding dead deer on the road. Try not to get them yourself.

Oh and I live in Area 9, which is part of region B, and this is where I got my doe tags.

To the OP, if you want mule deer on your license, just step across the line from area 10 to are 7-8-9, the license is good for any Buck or any white tail doe. (unless you have some sort of limited license). Season is Oct 1-15 just like your Antelope.

If someone can't find deer in this part of the state, its because they haven't gotten out of the truck.

Reg B consist of the Thunder Basin Grass Land, a lot of public land with private land interlaced. As mentioned it's well worth having the Land Owner chip in your GPS. I've found they are quite accurate.

Also for the OP, as a side note, The Weston County Sportsman's Club (Newcastle) has sight in days the last two days of Sept. for hunters to confirm their zeros. I'll be working the range both days. If you decide to sight in your rifle look me up, I'll point you to some deer in your hunting area.