Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Antelope Hunting


Reply

Who's planning on using a suppressor in WYO?

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #22  
Old 07-10-2013, 03:20 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Franz Josef Glacier, New Zealand
Posts: 151
Re: Who's planning on using a suppressor in WYO?

Quote:
My barrels might only last between 1500-5000, maybe 10-15,000 for some of the slower, less damaging calibers...but a guy might have one suppressor mounted to 5 guns different guns for 50+ years. Or a match shooter, or competitive shooter might burn up 10,000 rounds each season.
Do you have to get the suppressor modified for differnt barrel profiles ect..??
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07-10-2013, 03:25 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Gillette, WY
Posts: 2,561
Re: Who's planning on using a suppressor in WYO?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP100 View Post
well here it takes 7 days to get a suppressor and they are cheaper than new barrels. so you can just go to the store and get a new one(in NZ).
Why is there a 6+month wait???
these suppressors are designed for the average NZ hunter who in his life time would maybe fire 2-3000 rounds. And I would imagine the average US hunter would be much the same.
From what Ive seen all other rifle parts/accessories/ammunition are WAY cheaper in the US than here. Just found it interesting no one is making cheaper suppresors for the "budget" hunter. Not everyone can afford $1200+ for a suppressor.

Supprressors are an NFA item in the USA, just like SBR's & Full autos. Back ground check with a elbow length rubber glove, $200 tax stamp etc.

Suppressors are FAR from normal here, the average hunter mostly believes they are evil & have no place in the game fields (at least here in Wyo). They are usually used by the Tactical & target shooters who shoot a couple thousand rounds a year.

You're right, not everyone can afford a quality suppressor, they make cheaper ones too & for bubba the whitetail hunter who doesn't shoot as much as others, they work just fine.


t
__________________
"I, however, view ethics as an individual decision. My ethics are mine - and I won't explain or justify them to anyone else. I seek nobody's approval, just that of my own conscience. "

Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 07-10-2013, 03:47 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Franz Josef Glacier, New Zealand
Posts: 151
Re: Who's planning on using a suppressor in WYO?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw6.0 View Post
Supprressors are an NFA item in the USA, just like SBR's & Full autos. Back ground check with a elbow length rubber glove, $200 tax stamp etc.

Suppressors are FAR from normal here, the average hunter mostly believes they are evil & have no place in the game fields (at least here in Wyo). They are usually used by the Tactical & target shooters who shoot a couple thousand rounds a year.

You're right, not everyone can afford a quality suppressor, they make cheaper ones too & for bubba the whitetail hunter who doesn't shoot as much as others, they work just fine.


t
I hope they become more common place. the benifits are soo great for all types of shooting. Interesting that you cant EVER get a full auto here(thank god) but anyone can buy a suppressor off the shelf.
Interesting as well that target shooters use them.
Here most target shooting clubs/disiplines do not allow suppresors/muzzel brakes as they give an unfair advantage over shooters with out them.
Good to hear of what it is like over in the US.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 07-10-2013, 03:54 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Gillette, WY
Posts: 2,561
Re: Who's planning on using a suppressor in WYO?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP100 View Post
I hope they become more common place. the benifits are soo great for all types of shooting. Interesting that you cant EVER get a full auto here(thank god) but anyone can buy a suppressor off the shelf.
Interesting as well that target shooters use them.
Here most target shooting clubs/disiplines do not allow suppresors/muzzel brakes as they give an unfair advantage over shooters with out them.
Good to hear of what it is like over in the US.

I lobbied heavily for a state bill allowing the use of suppressors while hunting here in Wyo (it was illegal prior). After several failed attempts, we succeeded & the bill went into effect July 1st. They are increasing in popularity, slowly; with any luck (& an act of god) they will become easier to procure sometime in the future. Full auto's are still fully legal (in most states) as long as it's registered etc. Fun times


t
__________________
"I, however, view ethics as an individual decision. My ethics are mine - and I won't explain or justify them to anyone else. I seek nobody's approval, just that of my own conscience. "

Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 07-10-2013, 04:05 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Franz Josef Glacier, New Zealand
Posts: 151
Re: Who's planning on using a suppressor in WYO?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw6.0 View Post
I lobbied heavily for a state bill allowing the use of suppressors while hunting here in Wyo (it was illegal prior). After several failed attempts, we succeeded & the bill went into effect July 1st. They are increasing in popularity, slowly; with any luck (& an act of god) they will become easier to procure sometime in the future. Full auto's are still fully legal (in most states) as long as it's registered etc. Fun times
t
I wish you guys luck with getting more support. No one here really opposed suppressors at all(that I know).
Why did people oppose them??
To me it seems a bit weird that full autos are legal and suppresors anrt(in some states I understand). In my view full autos have no place on the civilian market they arnt needed for hunting and just cause alot of problems with anti gun groups whan a nut job gets ahold of one.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 07-10-2013, 04:15 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Gillette, WY
Posts: 2,561
Re: Who's planning on using a suppressor in WYO?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP100 View Post
I wish you guys luck with getting more support. No one here really opposed suppressors at all(that I know).
Why did people oppose them??
To me it seems a bit weird that full autos are legal and suppresors anrt(in some states I understand). In my view full autos have no place on the civilian market they arnt needed for hunting and just cause alot of problems with anti gun groups whan a nut job gets ahold of one.


Suppressors aren't allowed in all states either. I recall a local rep actually calling me a nut job for advocating the use of a suppressor in the game fields (still have the email)..... Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level & beat you with experience...


On the subject of full autos. Our Constitution guarantees the right of the people to keep & bare arms first & foremost as a viable opposition & defense agains tyranny of government. Lets face it, scopes & suppressors aren't needed for hunting either.


t
__________________
"I, however, view ethics as an individual decision. My ethics are mine - and I won't explain or justify them to anyone else. I seek nobody's approval, just that of my own conscience. "

Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 07-10-2013, 06:14 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 400
Re: Who's planning on using a suppressor in WYO?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP100 View Post
I wish you guys luck with getting more support. No one here really opposed suppressors at all(that I know).
Why did people oppose them??
To me it seems a bit weird that full autos are legal and suppresors anrt(in some states I understand). In my view full autos have no place on the civilian market they arnt needed for hunting and just cause alot of problems with anti gun groups whan a nut job gets ahold of one.
Technically speaking, that's not 100% correct.

Both are legal and have always been legal. A more correct description is that they are regulated differently.
The FEDERAL government added full autos to a ban list, but still maintains that legally registered items that were MADE BEFORE the ban went into place, are still legal to own, with the proper paperwork, which is why they bring such a premium on the open market. Quite simply, they aren't being made for the civilian market anymore, so their value has skyrocketed.
It's still the same NFA paperwork that it takes to buy a suppressor or SBS/SBR.

The NFA (National Firearms Act) is a list of items that are Federally regulated by a $200 tax, and each state maintains the right to limit their use; either by completely prohibiting them, making them 100% legal for legal use...or something in between.

Part of the reason ours cost more, is because of the harder, more durable materials used (which wears out tooling faster than a material like Aluminum) and the years of R & D that goes into development in a very fierce market. All-be-it a small market...it's still fiercely competitive...even though they all support the over all goal of getting suppressors off the NFA list.
Any jack wagon can make a suppressor in their garage for a few hours of time, and a couple bucks worth of materials...they aren't that hard, and some can be pretty effective (but you still have to register and pay your tax for what is called "A Form 1") but you'd be hard pressed to make anything home made that is on the same level as a more precision designed can.
The technology that goes into the design makes them more expensive.
__________________
"We do not rise to the occasion...we fall to the level of our training."
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Current Poll
In the last 12 months, what was your longest rifle kill on big game?
0 to 200 yards - 25.98%
1,547 Vote
201 to 400 yards - 32.16%
1,915 Vote
401 to 600 yards - 23.01%
1,370 Vote
601 to 800 yards - 10.04%
598 Votes
801 to 1,000 yards - 3.91%
233 Votes
Over 1,000 yards - 4.89%
291 Votes
Total Votes: 5,954
You may not vote on this poll.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC