Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Antelope Hunting


Reply

Who's planning on using a 22 cal?

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-08-2013, 08:29 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Gillette, Wy
Posts: 240
Who's planning on using a 22 cal?

Now that the laws have changed here in Wy, who is going to use a .22 cal for antelope. Who already does in their home state?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-08-2013, 08:43 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Posts: 2,536
Re: Who's planning on using a 22 cal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucknbach View Post
Now that the laws have changed here in Wy, who is going to use a .22 cal for antelope. Who already does in their home state?
we used to until they closed antelope season for us, my dad shot an antelope doe back when the season was open with our 22-250 but the wind brought the thin jacketed varmint bullet (didnt know anything about different bullets back then) into her front shoulder and she ran 3/4 mile with a broken leg and she stopped to go under a fence (funny cause they could jump it easy) and my dad popped another right behind the shoulder and she died on the spot.

We would in WY this year if there wasnt a bullet weight restriction, my dad just bought a rem 220 swift but it only has a 1:14 twist barrel, but that made me want to shoot the Barnes 36 grain varmint grenade at about 4350 fps, should be a laser out to 300 yards. Not that i would use the VG on antelope. Maybe for a head or neck shot but we know how that ended in the other thread.
__________________

I'm 15
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE CUSTOM

"Dope that scope and tickle that giggle switch"

~Doublezranch

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-09-2013, 10:12 AM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Greybull, WY
Posts: 73
Re: Who's planning on using a 22 cal?

I have a fast twist 223 that I have considered using, but really feel it would be a "just because I can" kind of thing since I have plenty of other guns that serve the purpose better. I doubt I will.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-09-2013, 10:13 AM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Gillette, Wy
Posts: 240
Re: Who's planning on using a 22 cal?

I don't plan on using a .22 cal just because I have my .243 already dialed in. Under 300 yds it's a little rough on them but it's good for noggin' shots out that far.

I'm glad the law has changed and givin us more choices. I believe in choices regardless if some dummy will make the wrong one. I don't think it went far enough, All restrictions should be lifted! A .22 lr can be used to take anything in this state, not by everyone mind you but that should be left up to the individual hunter. It shouldn't be left up to some busy body to decide for everyone. "Ethics" code word for I'm going to impose my beliefs and limitations on you!

Quote:
Maybe for a head or neck shot but we know how that ended in the other thread.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-09-2013, 10:44 AM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Greybull, WY
Posts: 73
Re: Who's planning on using a 22 cal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucknbach View Post

I'm glad the law has changed and givin us more choices. I believe in choices regardless if some dummy will make the wrong one. I don't think it went far enough, All restrictions should be lifted! A .22 lr can be used to take anything in this state, not by everyone mind you but that should be left up to the individual hunter. It shouldn't be left up to some busy body to decide for everyone. "Ethics" code word for I'm going to impose my beliefs and limitations on you!

I have to respectfully disagree. I agree that 22 cal centerfires should be (and now are) legal. When this was proposed, I had hoped they would place a bullet weight restriction on it (and they did). I am all for freedom to choose but I don't think we should make it so easy to make the wrong choice.

The readers and posters here are likely far more educated on bullet and cartridge choice than your average hunter. They also likely are far more practiced with their rifles. Many guys might see that 223 is legal, load up their AR with 55 grain FMJ or V max bullets and go hunting. It might turn out ok, but in many cases, we all know that the game they wound would not be recovered. Some of these guys would call their tag filled, but many others would keep on hunting and may continue wounding game. Go to Walmart and buy factory 223. Most of it is not suited to hunting deer sized game but those who don't know any different would likely use it because it's what is available.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-09-2013, 03:16 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Allegan, MI
Posts: 1,130
Re: Who's planning on using a 22 cal?

"All restrictions should be lifted! A .22 lr can be used to take anything in this state, "

You are one strange dude with your other thoughts on stuff that the majority differed on and now with these two comments out on a hunting website you have definitely proved it. Please remember that I'm just respectfully disagreeing like the previous post said he was to your statements and it's also my rights to disagree
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-09-2013, 03:51 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Gillette, Wy
Posts: 240
Re: Who's planning on using a 22 cal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMcCullough View Post
I have to respectfully disagree. I agree that 22 cal centerfires should be (and now are) legal. When this was proposed, I had hoped they would place a bullet weight restriction on it (and they did). I am all for freedom to choose but I don't think we should make it so easy to make the wrong choice.

The readers and posters here are likely far more educated on bullet and cartridge choice than your average hunter. They also likely are far more practiced with their rifles. Many guys might see that 223 is legal, load up their AR with 55 grain FMJ or V max bullets and go hunting. It might turn out ok, but in many cases, we all know that the game they wound would not be recovered. Some of these guys would call their tag filled, but many others would keep on hunting and may continue wounding game. Go to Walmart and buy factory 223. Most of it is not suited to hunting deer sized game but those who don't know any different would likely use it because it's what is available.
I agree it's possible for someone with no experience going out and buying a Ruger 10/22 and going Elk hunting or buying the wrong ammo for their AR and shooting a dear. I think it's more likely that most hunters either have been taught by their parents or friends with the experience. Someone brand new to hunting, going out on their own with no help, is more than likely going to do alot of research before hand. Since hunters safety is mandatory alittle bit on round selection could be added. Actually it might even be part of the class already.

I think more animals are wounded from lack of shooting skill & buck fever than caliber choice. A far effective law would require a minimum of lets say 500 practice rounds a year be shot prior to hunting season. I can think of all kinds of laws to try and get the 1% of irresponsible people up to snuff. All of which punish those of us who are responsible.

I have my principles that I follow. For example, I use every scrape of meat off the carcass. I wouldn't however try to impose that principle on someone else via a law. I could educate and even look down on someone who doesn't if I chose to. I don't.

Montana doesn't have caliber restrictions. Maybe someone from there can chime in on it.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Current Poll
Where in the US do you live?
West of the Mississippi River - 59.92%
770 Votes
East of the Mississippi River - 37.74%
485 Votes
On the Mississippi River on a houseboat - 2.33%
30 Votes
Total Votes: 1,285
You may not vote on this poll.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC