Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Antelope Hunting

Where to ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2013, 01:13 PM

Re: Where to ?

the low goat number two years ago was the only draw back, I hunted week 2 and it was scarce for goats, 6 mile, butcher rd and howard road wia,s , all good access, plenty of parking in pizza barn lot,
Old 01-06-2013, 01:55 PM
Silver Member

6 mile basin is where I hunt. The problem with it is, people don't know what is public vs. private land.

It you look east across the basin you seen a fence line on the far ridge. Parino keeps his horses there (he has the lease) and people think its private. Its BLM, for about 1/2 mile east of that.

If you been to that area you notice the land east of the fence is broken, more so then that of the basin. When the critters get spooked, the head for the broken land east of 6 mile basin.

That area goes north and south pretty much the whole length of 6 mile basin. At night you'll see hundreds of goats in the alfalfa fields just SE of the Airport. The area I'm talking about is used by antelope for traveling to and from the alfalfa fields.

Two years ago, I left the house (I live 10 miles east of Newcastle) at 7:30, and was back with my goat at 915. This year it took a bit longer, I didn't get home with my goat until 2 PM.

The thing is most people hunt from the roads. You can see the critters from the road in broken country. Stop, climb a ridge, do some glassing you'll see them. Plenty of goats even when people say there isn't, you just cant see them from the road.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:13 PM
Platinum Member

That's exactly why all the hunting we do is on foot in a nonmotorized area and about 1 1/2 miles or more from the road. We see and take plenty of game when others are saying there is nothing left out there.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:14 PM

Top gun,,, this is part of what 09 did to my future hiking,,,,

misc_110 - The Michigan Sportsman Photo Gallery

I can get a ways off the roads but limited by terrain now,, still trying to hunt....

"That area goes north and south pretty much the whole length of 6 mile basin. At night you'll see hundreds of goats in the alfalfa fields just SE of the Airport. The area I'm talking about is used by antelope for traveling to and from the alfalfa fields."

I saw goats in there alfalfa fields the first afternoon, stopped to glass them and as soon as the wheels stopped the goats ran,,, 3-4pm week 2, no buck in group,, I even sized up the little guy on state land south edge of the airport,,, I hunted the walk in north of there behind the water hole,,, never saw a goat in four hours sitting on the hill side, west of the "knob"
Old 01-06-2013, 06:00 PM
Platinum Member

So what's the story on that nasty looking injury?
Old 01-06-2013, 09:00 PM

Gravity sucks,, 16 feet up w/chain saw, ladder slid off tree,,, I landed in driveway about 10 feet from safety harness I had been wearing for two days,,, last limb in last tree,,,, destroyed my L> heel and taurus bone above it, & R leg Tib/Fib in 5 peices and knee torn up, crawled up driveway to wave down help,, was in rural alcona county, ended up in Alpena Hosp, 2 month in nursing home in alpena, A rod, 3 butterfly plates 14 screws, 38cc of cadaver paste, and 8 months later I returned to work,, still hurts, still limp, found out the knee they pounded the rod thru into my leg was messed up also, rehab helped but it balances out the pain from my L ankle I have taken two nice 8 points with bow since then, one bear, one antelope, I also have a HSS vest now, to late but cant take another fall, fear of heights now also ??? ( sorry you asked eh?? ) I used to camp 1 1/4 in off the road every fall on opening of small game.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:14 PM
Platinum Member

Holy chit batman!!!