Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Antelope Hunting

When to go ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2010, 10:15 AM
Silver Member

When to go ?

I have saved 2 weeks vacation for this years antelope hunt, it will take me 1.5 days to get to Wyoming so lets say 4 days travel time, that leaves 10 days to hunt. How would you use those 10 days? Should I go early and spend a few days scouting before the season opens, or should I skip the opener and go later in the season ? I realize it won't likely take 10 days to shoot a good buck but I can be more selective with extra time.

Thanks!

bob
Old 05-19-2010, 03:12 PM
Platinum Member

Re: When to go ?

Since know one else has chimmed in i'll give you my opinion. i would say even if you've been to this area to hunt befor you would still benefit from atleast one day of scouting posiibly 2 days. Sometimes the game moves from year to year . If you've never been their before then I recommend 2 days allowed for scouting that way your days are spent hunting the best possible spot that you have found .

BigBuck
Old 05-19-2010, 04:06 PM
Gold Member

I have hunted wyoming every year for the last seven years for Antelope and mule deer. I would fly there the day of the hunt, rent a car and drive to your spot. Shoot your goat in a hour. gut it, cape it and donate the meat. Send the cape and horns to your taxidermist and fly back home. Hunting antelope in wyoming is like shooting Buffalo at one of those game preserves. Not a challenge. Now a good Muley is a different story. My 2 cents if you want the truth.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:27 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300 ultra View Post
I have hunted wyoming every year for the last seven years for Antelope and mule deer. I would fly there the day of the hunt, rent a car and drive to your spot. Shoot your goat in a hour. gut it, cape it and donate the meat. Send the cape and horns to your taxidermist and fly back home. Hunting antelope in wyoming is like shooting Buffalo at one of those game preserves. Not a challenge. Now a good Muley is a different story. My 2 cents if you want the truth.
I appreciate your reply, but that is not my style of hunting. I guess I should have been a little more specific, I have a Pronghorn buck on the wall that scores just a little less than 80" and I'll be looking for a better one. The quality of the hunt, placing my shot with surgical precision, enjoying a few brief days away from computers, television, cell phones, etc.
I drive to my hunting area enjoying the scenery along the way, camp and cook my own food. This is my vacation and I am not going to get in a big hurry to do anything!

bigbuck, I have never hunted the areas I applied for and haven't been through them for a long time. The tentative opener is the 15th. of September without looking at a calender I want to say a Wednesday and I was thinking of arriving on the Sunday before. I just didn't know whether to expect a large crowd for a mid week opener.

Please keep it coming, I want all the opinions!

Bob
Old 05-20-2010, 10:18 AM
Gold Member

The season opens on wednesday sept 15th. The area I hunt doesnt seem to pressured to heavily but it depends on your hunt area. I have heard to hunt them as late in the season as possible because there horns keep growing throughout the year. What part of the state are you going to be in. Closest town will be sufficent.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:38 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300 ultra View Post
The season opens on wednesday sept 15th. The area I hunt doesnt seem to pressured to heavily but it depends on your hunt area. I have heard to hunt them as late in the season as possible because there horns keep growing throughout the year. What part of the state are you going to be in. Closest town will be sufficent.
I applied for unit 73 with 72 as a second choice so if I do get drawn I'll be west of Casper. 73 has a lot fewer tags and more area than 72 so it should be less crowded. I never thought about horn growth continuing throughout the season but have heard to wait until after opening weekend to avoid the "ride, slide and shoot" crowd.

Bob
Old 05-20-2010, 06:23 PM
Platinum Member

Being as it opens on a weekday be there then. OR EARLIER. As was said it takes about two days to find animals and get familiar with what a good set of horns looks like. The second time you go antelope hunting you will need less time to get familiar with an area.

There are several kinds of locals. Those that know where a big buck is and will make sure to go on opening day and try to get him. Then there are the ones who will go after work. Then there are the local weekend hunters which may include friends or family. As far nonresidents there are three kinds also. One type shoots the first tan and splotched animal they see and hope it is not a basset hound. One type has a guide to show them the difference between a hereford and an antelope. Then there is the guy who is going to get a nice head with a decent set of horns.

If you wait, then you are dealing with spookier animals and you will need to scout harder to find a good animal but they are still there. Done it that way several times but prefer to be there opening day