Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Antelope Hunting

What camp do you belong in

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2011, 10:34 AM
Silver Member

Re: What camp do you belong in

When I shoot an antelope I'm 1000 miles from home give or take. They get skinned and iced ASAP.

Bob
Old 10-03-2011, 12:32 PM
Platinum Member

I leave the hide on them until I am ready to cut them up and have never experienced the "sage taste" people complain about. I believe the key is (with any animal) get them somewhere cool asap. Then when you are cutting them up keep it very clean. the hair is tubular and something about it carrys scent and tast a long way. so very carefully remove all tendon and white colored film from the meat and if a hair end up on the meat i dont just pick it off i slice that little piece of meat out and throw it away. keep things very clean and you are in for a treat. (keeping the hide on just keeps the meat from drying out the taste of the hair doesnt come through the hide unless maybe it does get too hot as the skin is thin. but a reasonable temp and you will be fine. ) I have killed probably 60-80 of them ...6 per year and have not had a bad one yet

Get a JOB! I already feed the bears, I dont need to feed you too!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 10-03-2011, 12:54 PM
Silver Member

In central Wyoming we are experiencing near record heat with daily highs in the mid to upper 80's so be prepared for hot weather even into October. For those who are traveling a long distance, I would suggest you consider not even gutting the critter if legal where hunt and if within your personal code of ethics. Lay a sheet of plastic or a tarp on the ground, skin (cape if mounting), remove the front and rear legs (retain evidence of sex on a hind leg if required), remove the back straps, make a cut along the back that will allow access to the tender loins and remove those, then put the pieces in a large cooler with ice or dry ice. If leaving the animal whole or if quartering, instead of just tossing him/her into the bed of the truck, lay them on a pallet so the air circulates all around the animal.

Tikka Mike posted just before me and I have to agree with him for the most part. FWIW, the outfitter I work for has put about 45 antelope on the ground in the last two weeks with temperatures in the 80's and we don't skin in the field.

Last edited by Ankeny; 10-03-2011 at 12:58 PM.
Old 10-08-2011, 05:49 PM
Silver Member

First 2 I got this year I cut up and put on ice, just because I wanted to stay out hunting longer.

Today I gutted one and through it in the back of the Tahoe and bee lined for home. Smell wasn't great but we made it.
Old 10-08-2011, 06:21 PM
Platinum Member

Today I gutted one and through it in the back of the Tahoe and bee lined for home

Your my hero...if you do it again.
The better went out and bought me a big white cooler and a box of garbage bags. She handed them to me with a warning to NEVER put a whole goat in the back of the Tahoe again!!
For some reason she is a little touchy about the smell of a goat in her Tahoe
Old 10-08-2011, 06:45 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachV View Post
Today I gutted one and through it in the back of the Tahoe and bee lined for home

Your my hero...if you do it again.
The better went out and bought me a big white cooler and a box of garbage bags. She handed them to me with a warning to NEVER put a whole goat in the back of the Tahoe again!!
For some reason she is a little touchy about the smell of a goat in her Tahoe
LOL Good thing it's my Tahoe and she wasn't with me. Kids complained, especially when I opened the window and it stirred up the fragrance.

Had the cooler of ice but forgot the bags.
Old 10-08-2011, 07:02 PM
Platinum Member

Ya I thought it was my Tahoe too...Silly me