Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Antelope Hunting

What area in Wyoming is best for DIY Antelope Hunt 2014

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2014, 03:50 PM
Bronze Member

What area in Wyoming is best for DIY Antelope Hunt 2014

I have never been on a big game hunt in any of the western states. I am interested in hunting Antelope this fall and enjoy the challenge and adventure of free lance hunting and camping. My son and I enjoy long range shooting and have talked about this for a long time. We have no contacts in Wyoming so I am writing to this forum in hopes to gain information on what area we need to apply in for the best possible chance to draw a non resident buck Antelope tag. We have no preference points. What area offers the best public hunting land with a good chance of drawing a tag?
Thanks for your help!
Fieldstone
Abingdon, Virginia
Old 02-23-2014, 06:22 PM
Bronze Member

Re: What area in Wyoming is best for DIY Antelope Hunt 2014

I was in your shoes about 2 years ago looking for information on where to hunt antelope in WY. What I can tell you is that the hunting is a blast. You probably won't get very many responses until you do some research and start asking more unit specific questions. A simple search on this site or google will net you a lot of results. Also, you need to check the G & F website for Wyoming to see your draw odds. They also spell out units with best access (usually harder to draw).
Old 02-23-2014, 06:33 PM
Platinum Member

Hoping someone will chime in, I am interested in hunting Antelope in Wyoming too.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:00 PM
Platinum Member

It is a total draw state for Wyoming even the residents. The odds change depending on how many hunters apply for each area. Preference points help non residents and it usually don't take too many points to draw. Left over tags are available on a first come first buy bases in July, but mostly doe/fawn permits. The eastern side of the state has a lot more private land and access is usually not to hard to get. The west side has more public land and sometimes is harder to draw. Hope this helps.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:42 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks, I'm going to keep reading and start a routine of getting points.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:35 AM
Silver Member

I have hunted eastern Wyoming for two seasons, didn't go last year, but am planning on going this year. First year i bought a buck tag the day they were made available (june?) And the following year i dought my buck tag when we arrived in WY. And there were still plenty of buck ang doe tags left over.
It sure is a fun hunt. But make sure you gut, skin and cool the carcass quickly. We collected a bunch of gatorage and soda bottles, freeze them and then after we would drag the carcass to tne truck we would roll out a small tarp, skin it shove it into a big cooler and stuff the cooler with frozen water bottles. I heard from a few of the locals if you dont cool the meat quickly, it wont taste so good.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:56 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Win.308Stealth View Post
I have hunted eastern Wyoming for two seasons, didn't go last year, but am planning on going this year. First year i bought a buck tag the day they were made available (june?) And the following year i dought my buck tag when we arrived in WY. And there were still plenty of buck ang doe tags left over.
It sure is a fun hunt. But make sure you gut, skin and cool the carcass quickly. We collected a bunch of gatorage and soda bottles, freeze them and then after we would drag the carcass to tne truck we would roll out a small tarp, skin it shove it into a big cooler and stuff the cooler with frozen water bottles. I heard from a few of the locals if you dont cool the meat quickly, it wont taste so good.

You may not be as lucky this year if you didn't put in for the draw that just closed last Monday night. The tentative quotas for this year just came out yesterday and a lot of buck and doe tags have been cut considerably on the east side of the state where you may have been planning on going. The drought and issuing a lot of extra doe tags in some of the units to get the herds down is now showing in some of the units a lot of people rely on for leftovers that probably won't be there after the draw this year. The one that will have a ton of leftovers of both types will be unit 23, but there is very limited public land and what's there is tough hunting and not what is considered as typical antelope country.