Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Antelope Hunting

Want to head out west, first time ever.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2010, 03:29 PM
Gold Member

Want to head out west, first time ever.

Hello everyone,

I am very interested to go hunt the west this year. I am only able to hunt during thanksgiving however, due to school.

I also dont have a hunting partner and am wondering if anyone else is in the same kind of jam. Wants to go hunt but doesn't have anyone to go with. I may end up just going alone and am looking for any advice, from what i've read i am pretty set on hunting wyoming. Still studying what areas but havent put in for anything yet.

Just generally looking for any advice to help out a newbie. Im not too new to LR hunting, just havent gone out west yet.

If anyone is even just a little interested in joining me/letting me join their hunt, shoot me a pm.

Thanks,
Oliver
Old 02-27-2010, 03:41 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Want to head out west, first time ever.

Things are froze up, cold, windy and snowy that time of year. It will be hit or miss if you can actually hunt. If you really want to go there are some late season cow elk hunts that might give you a good chance.

Better idea is to learn to bow hunt and go archery hunting in August. Weather is nice the animals are tame and roads are good.

You can look at muzzle loader seasons also.
Old 02-27-2010, 03:48 PM
Gold Member

I do some bow hunting, and muzzle loader but for me personaly i want to go west 1. for the experience of a real live-out-your-car/backpack hunt and 2. to get some real long shots in that i cant find too easily here on the east coast.

A cow hunt would also be interesting, and yeah it will be very cold, was also thinking about hunting antelope in texas. I read there are some on private ranches there aswell. Will probably have to wait for 2012 before i can hunt the west in september or october.

Thanks for the info Buffalobob, by the way, your story about your 2month hunt after retiring was a major force behind my drive to hunt the west. That is the kind of hunt i can only dream of.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:14 AM
Platinum Member

Antelope hunting in Texas sounds pretty appealing at least weather wise and I think you'd probably have a good opportunity at long ranges.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:50 AM
Gold Member

If you're wanting to hunt antelope in TX, here's one recommendation. Texas Antelope Hunts

But like all hunting in TX, bring your wallet.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:19 AM
Platinum Member

Pricey but, not too bad considering 3 day meals and lodging.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:32 AM
Silver Member

I am not familiar with wyoming, but along the lines of what buffalobob was saying, the west can be nasty that time of year.

Here in the upper northwest corner of Montana my hunting range has gotten smaller by that time of year, and a hunter will want a 4x4 with a shovel, tire chains, fire starter, etc., for safety.

Hiking will usually be for none but the most serious hunters as well because the snow can be feet deep and the potential for a blizzard is very real. The last several years have been mild, but it always comes back.

‘‘To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them...’’ — Richard Henry Lee, 1787