Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Antelope Hunting

Thunder ridge outfitters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2014, 04:22 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Thunder ridge outfitters

We did draw. Now i have the rest of the summer to get the new gun ready for the trip!.......JR

Old 08-25-2014, 10:46 AM

When is your hunt? I'm interested to hear how it goes, as I'm considering this hunt for next year.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:41 PM
Platinum Member

Question---Why would anyone pay for an antelope drop camp? The only reason I can think of is that the outfitter is putting you on a private ranch that he has leased so the hunting and number of hunters is controlled. Is that the case here?
Old 08-25-2014, 05:42 PM
Bronze Member

We cant get there until the 6th of October due to everyone's work schedules. I talked to the guy, (Randy), several times and he gave us all our options and choices since we had no points going into the draw. As far as why we are paying for a drop camp, the price was more than fair and we figured we could do some re-con for for future hunting trips and learn some of the country since none of us hunted that state before.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:02 AM

Why would you NOT pay for a drop camp? If someone's flying into WY, what other options are there? Hotel/cabin - not the same outdoor experience, and cost is similar. Bring my own camping equipment?...on a plane? Also, assuming the outfitter makes a good faith effort to locate your camp in an area that suits your needs, based on what you tell him your objective is, you get some benefit from his local expertise, but without the "being babysat" feel of a guided hunt. I've never done it but it seems like a good idea to me for someone traveling from a long way off. Look forward to hearing about your trip, JRY.
Old 08-26-2014, 04:38 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillHunt View Post
Why would you NOT pay for a drop camp? If someone's flying into WY, what other options are there? Hotel/cabin - not the same outdoor experience, and cost is similar. Bring my own camping equipment?...on a plane? Also, assuming the outfitter makes a good faith effort to locate your camp in an area that suits your needs, based on what you tell him your objective is, you get some benefit from his local expertise, but without the "being babysat" feel of a guided hunt. I've never done it but it seems like a good idea to me for someone traveling from a long way off. Look forward to hearing about your trip, JRY.

Maybe because there has been no mention anywhere in this thread that they are flying out for the hunt---DUH!!! If they are flying out, there isn't much of a way to hunt without an outfitter. If they drive, there is really no need to do an antelope hunt other than DIY and that was why I asked the question.

Last edited by Topgun 30-06; 08-26-2014 at 04:44 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 08-26-2014, 09:35 PM
Bronze Member

First off we are driving out. None of us ever hunted Wyoming before and for the price I don't think you can beat it! 6 days and $700.00 a person and we just bring our hunting gear & food, everything else we need is there. How much for a motel for 6-7 days? If we tag out in a day or 2, ( we all have a buck & doe-fawn tags) I can break out my foxpro and do some coyote hunting. And as I said in the previous post do some recon for future hunts. Why do guys-gals pay $1500.00 + for guided antelope hunts for only 2 - 3 days?.................JR