Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Antelope Hunting

so how does antelope taste ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2009, 06:36 PM
Silver Member

if all goes well, myself and friend will be going to wyo. for some doe's.
we know because of the heat to skin em and get em on ice asap.
i had goat some years ago, and as i remember, it didn't taste all that great........

hope it was just a bad experience...
so how does antelope taste ? secret recipes, soaking, marinade, etc ...???
Old 05-18-2009, 07:27 PM
Bronze Member

Re: so how does antelope taste ?

Well, I'm not the expert on antelope hunting or butchering but I have a close friend has brought over some of the absolute best meat that I have ever had that was speedgoat.
He takes the hide of the meat immediately right in the field, quarters it, and puts it all in meat bags then gets it to the cooler asap. Be real carefull with all the sent glands, I understand the whole white rump area is a scent gland.
My wifes family used to have a ranch in Helena MT and they always had antelope in the freezer and she said the heart was the best part.
Have a good hunt.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:10 PM
Gold Member

I would highly recomend quartering, deboning and cooling it off asap. i've noticed iits a lot better when you remove as much of the silver-skin on the meat as you can...
Old 05-18-2009, 09:10 PM
Bronze Member

Superb!!! Here in ND the antelope we harvest have not fed on sage though.
I have heard some people say that the sage gives it a bad taste. As far as field dressing them, Nate field dresses them and brings them home, hangs them up, skins them, takes out the tenderloins, then quarters them out, washes and rinses them a few times then lets them chill overnight in ice water.
The next day we cut steaks and roast and debone the rest. We put the deboned meat in zip lock bags and put in the freezer for when we grind after all the deer have been processed( we only like to have to clean the meat grinder once a year)

If we had a choice, we would choose antelope over any other meat, period.

The tenderloin is of course our favorite! juicy and can be cut with a fork.
I pan fry them in rice bran oil ( has a very high smoke point and is a healthy oil with hardly a hint of flavor)with Montreal steak seasoning. mmmm I think I'm going to dig out some chops for supper, all this is making my mouth water. (hunt. eat. sleep. repeat )
We never have had a hint of gamey flavor.... so far.

We also enjoy roast & burger. Nate and I bagged two last year and will defiantly try for more this year. Nate is hoping to go to Wyo. this year and is hoping to make one of his longest shots ever on a goat, if the conditions provide.

*Prairie Princess*

Last edited by *Prairie Princess*; 05-18-2009 at 09:21 PM.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:46 PM
Gold Member

We hunted Wy. last year and took 2 goats. Here's what we did. We took 2 coolers filled with bagged ice. We didn't shoot any goats that were running fast, although we did take one that was herding does back together. We field dressed the first goat ASAP, then put it in the bed of the P.U. truck, skin on. We then filled the body cavity with ice and went hunting for the 2nd goat. We used a cooler full of ice (about 30# of ice for each goat) on each one. From shooting the first one to butchering them it was about 7 hrs in 80* temps. Both goats tasted great. The biggest thing was 1) don't shoot one that's been running full bore and 2) get them cooled down ASAP. My buddy shot his in the lungs and I took the top of the heart off of mine.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:38 PM
Platinum Member

Goat is great if you get it skinned and cooled of as fast as possible. One of the places I hunt them I shoot, gut and through them in the creek with the hide on and wash them out and get water flowing through them then run to the house skin and cut all in one morning.
I've seen guys fill milk jugs and freeze them and use them inside the goat to get them cooled down.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:42 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by splattermatic View Post

Like Chicken! Doesn't everything? Man I can't believe no one else jumped on that one. Good luck on them does!!