Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Antelope Hunting

Rangefinders for Antelope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2012, 08:42 AM
Gold Member

Re: Rangefinders for Antelope

Even though I don't currently have the skill to shoot past 1000, I think there is still a lot of value in having the capability to range as far as possible... if I were to range an antelope or elk at 1250 I would know I only had to close 250 or 300 yards to be within range. Never bad to have as much info as possible.

So I"ll try and save up for the 1600... It won't break the bank, just need to be save up and try and get one before hunting season rolls around.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:39 AM
Platinum Member

The Leica 1600 is the best 'inexpensive' option. I have a Swarovski and it's beam divergence is pretty big. You can read about my experience with RFs and antelope hunting here:

2 VA LRHers in eastern WY

Towards the end you will find similar discussion and advice on RFs as you have received here.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:42 PM
Gold Member

Trebark, looks like you had a great hunt last year. Thanks for the link.

I will likely try and save up for the Leica 1600. It seems to be the best bang for the buck.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:02 PM
Silver Member

I have a 1600 and it will consistently range to 1000 at a 12x12 piece of plate under all conditions i have tried except light rain. I live in the flattest part of the country you could imagine. Dirt roads for miles. The Leica will get it done. I have ranged past a mile with it on my rear bag off back of truck to a deer sized bush. It is wow for the cash. I have to look really hard to find places to shoot over 1000 over here so it fits my bill quite nicely. inside 1k on smallish targets with no prop more than your elbows will get it done most everytime. 100% of the time with a small rear bag and no rain.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:47 AM
Silver Member

Last fall I was pegging cows, antelope and deer, (white tail, mule deer, doe and buck) beyond 1300 yds very consistently off hand with the Bushnell 1600 Fusion's
Even if you consider the very real possibility of having the range finder pick up the grass in front or behind due to no rest...that's still a consistent reading at that range...get on a rest and its golden.
I ranged a nonreflective grassy hill a coyote was sitting on at 1681 meters...beyond a mile.
Don't overlook them.
I know I will never again choose a LRF that isn't a combo unit. Binos and LRF in one package.
Swaro's might be better, but the Leica Geovids were NOT. They had better glass for observing, but they didn't even come close to ranging as well as the Fusion.

The vectors can't be beaten...but you'll pay for their awesomeness too. Ranging moving vehicles at over 6000 yds is always fun.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:47 AM
Gold Member

Well it looks like I've got a lead on getting a Zeiss Victory PRF for $488. I know the beam divergence is larger than the Leica.

So although I want the Leica 1600, which gives you temp and pressure, has smaller beam divergence... I'm wondering if the price of this Zeiss is too good to pass up?

I really am not planning on shooting past 1000 ... but also want a rangefinder that will work in flat country. I'm thinking I should wait and save up for the Leica.

Thoughts?
Old 05-15-2012, 09:51 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber338 View Post
Well it looks like I've got a lead on getting a Zeiss Victory PRF for $488. I know the beam divergence is larger than the Leica.

So although I want the Leica 1600, which gives you temp and pressure, has smaller beam divergence... I'm wondering if the price of this Zeiss is too good to pass up?

I really am not planning on shooting past 1000 ... but also want a rangefinder that will work in flat country. I'm thinking I should wait and save up for the Leica.

Thoughts?
I say wait till you can afford the 1600 or watch for a used Leica 1200 CRF-Y. One of the 1200 just sold on here for $425. That is as good as it gets for thatprice range. Big beams for antelope are a huge mistake in my opinion.

Jeff