Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Antelope Hunting

Rangefinders for Antelope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2012, 05:13 PM
Gold Member

Rangefinders for Antelope

My rangefinder sucks when it comes to ranging pretty much anything in the Eastern Colorado plains when I am out Antelope hunting. It is a Nikon 550.

It works great out to 500 yards when I am elk hunting in the mountains, but I can hardly get out to 150 yards when there is nothing but dry grass. I have used my scope in the past to get a ballpark for how far away the antelope are, but don't trust my experience level for ranging far.

What gear/techniques do all of you use when you are antelope hunting, especially for long range shots?
Old 05-08-2012, 08:24 PM
Silver Member

Re: Rangefinders for Antelope

And what gps unit....? (we'll ask about the day packs later)
Old 05-08-2012, 09:09 PM
Platinum Member

Antelope suck to range, no two ways about it!! The only way to defeat the little buggers is a small beam deliverance in a high end range finder, my leica 1200 will get me about 800 yards consistently but I have to watch it. A friends Vectronix will tap one as far as anyone on here can shoot but you pay to play!!!
Old 05-08-2012, 09:57 PM
Platinum Member

I can and have many times ranged a coyote in 10" tall wheat stubble on flat ground to well past 1400 yards. I have ranged antelope in the same conditions to past 1 mile. There are two key things to make it happen.

1: You need a good quality RF with a small beam divergence. The cheapest one that you can currently buy new in the $700 range is the Leica 1600 CRF

The next better unit would be the Vectronix PLRF05 also known as the Terripin. These go for just under $2000

The next up in price is what I use, the PLRF10 by Vectronix and sells for $3700

Now most guys can get by with the $700 dollar Leica but you won't be ranging antelope at a mile with one. But in morning and evening light or with a little cloud cover you should be able to get a goat at 1000 on a flat field, maybe further. In midday bright sun probably 700 to 800. This is if you understand the RF and practice how to use it properly. Which brings us to number two

2: Get down solid and get that RF on sand bags. These very precise units are sending a narrow but powerfull beam that may only be 2' x 6' at 1000 yards. Could you hit an antelope off hand or off your elbo's at 1000? I know I can not. So I stack up sand bags and push the RF down solid into them. Then I go in to scan mode on the RF. Start ranging over the goat, deer or what ever and slowly work down till you get a reading. Once you get a couple matching distances lift up again till you get no reading , then work back down to the goat. When you have got a few (i like 3) consecutive reading you have an accurate range.

ps: with the leica watch that you don't block the laser with a figer or the sand bags. It is easily done.

Hope this helps!!

Jeff
Old 05-12-2012, 04:46 PM
Gold Member

I have the Swaro laser guide that works awesome in some conditions not so good in other conditions, have ranged antelope to a mile with it before.
Last year on my antelope hunt in tough conditions it was hard getting a range at 1000yards though.
If I were buying a new rangefinder it would be the Vectronix Terripin
Old 05-13-2012, 08:21 AM
Gold Member

Thanks guys. You sure are right that you pay to play. Wish I had a money tree!

Broz, great advice to get set up and steady when you range. Been looking at the Leica for a while but even those are spendy... puts it in perspective when you look at the cost of the Vectronix.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:29 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber338 View Post
Broz, great advice to get set up and steady when you range. Been looking at the Leica for a while but even those are spendy... puts it in perspective when you look at the cost of the Vectronix.

If the 1600 CRF for around $700 is still over budget then look for a used Leica CRF 1200 -Y They go usedfor about $425 to $450 and are the best unit you can get for that price. But know that depending on conditions the max you will range a goat will be 1000 and that will not happen all the time on flat ground.

Jeff