Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Antelope Hunting

Out of State SD Antelope and Deer hunters BEWARE

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2011, 12:50 PM
Silver Member

Re: Out of State SD Antelope and Deer hunters BEWARE

Yeah, Newcastle, or almost, I live right on the border where Hwy 16 crosses the state line.

The mule deer didn;t seen to get hurt here, nor did the antilope, I the goats just west of town (Newcastle) in are 7.

The herds of both (deer and antilope) are all slpit up now do to fawns, but they'll herd up again before hunting season.
Old 06-21-2011, 03:49 PM
Platinum Member

Great area and completely different scenery from your home depending on whether you go east or west! I've told several newbies to antelope hunting on a couple sites to put in for unit 7 and to get off the roads and actually hunt to have a good time and shoot a goat or two! It looks like Newcastle will be their home base while they are out there and a couple are talking about tenting it out in the BLM.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:50 PM
Silver Member

Area 7 is great, lots of National Grassland and Private walk in areas. No need to worry about where to hunt. Get a thunder basin National Grassland map and a Walk In Area map (the latter from the fish and game website).

If one doesn't get a goat in this are its because he forgot to get out of bed.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:16 PM
Platinum Member

That's exactly what I told them if they got off the roads and did some walking because the goats are there. I actually have a CD ROM for Wyoming and I made and mailed them a good map of the east half of unit 7 with all the walkin areas marked, as well as the Grasslands and even put a bunch of waypoints on the map so they will know right where they are. If they do their part, they should have a good time.
Old 07-16-2011, 02:12 PM
Silver Member

from what i'm reading, it seems as though the northern parts of SD were hit harder than the central/southern parts. is this correct? i live in Rapid City and for the first time i will (hopefully) be hunting the grasslands for deer and antelope bordering the badlands as well deer in the black hills. should i still be able to expect a good year?
Old 07-16-2011, 03:09 PM
Platinum Member

If you can walk and have the time to be serious about taking both animals I would think you will be okay. I don't know what the deal is over in antelope unit 7 in Wyoming, but they cut the buck tags way down like there was a big dieoff or something that I haven't heard about. The unit sold out of buck tags in the draw because of that when previously there were usually leftovers for sale.