close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Antelope Hunting

Reply

Nilgai Killer- Semi auto larger than a .308?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Unread 04-24-2012, 02:20 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 11
Nilgai Killer- Semi auto larger than a .308?

I need a rifle for shooting Nilgai while both they and I are on the move. Being a large antelope, I need a caliber big enough to go all the way through and leave a blood trail. Since both parties are moving at times, the more rounds in the magazine the better. We lost a large cow this weekend hit broadside while running with a .270 shooting Nosler partitions. Zero blood trail. We then took a small cow and cut out a .270 that hit it broadside but stopped just inside the skin on the exit side.

The 458 SOCOM has some nice weight to it but I don't know if it has the punch to get all the way through the animal. The Armalite AR10 Ultramag is close with the .300SAUM round but the 24" barrel is a bit more than I want and the 5 round magazine less than I want.

I like the .300WSM for the added punch, hot round, and reduced kick for less muzzle rise while firing multiple rounds, but haven't seen much available. I have seen Noreen ULR rifle in .338 lapua and .300 win mag but as mentioned before, the less kick/muzzle rise for follow up shots the better.

Simply (sarcasm), all I need is a AR15 with a Surefire 60 round magazine with an Eotech firing rounds that will completely pentrate a 700lb animal. Any thoughts? Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  •   #2  
    Unread 04-24-2012, 03:11 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Jul 2004
    Location: Texas
    Posts: 7,001
    Re: Nilgai Killer- Semi auto larger than a .308?

    The AR platform will limit you somewhat unless you go with the AR10 and have it chambered
    in something like a 338 RCM or the 325 WSM.

    A good bolt action will do the job and if set up right it will allow for follow up shots if needed.

    I would consider a 7 rem mag to be about the minimum for one shot kills but you can expect
    the Nilgai to run a few yards.

    If you want a knockdown, any thing at or above a 300 RUM should do the job.

    Nilgai are no harder to kill than any other animal that size they are just very tough and dont
    want to go down.

    I have used a 416 and it hits them like a train at a rail crossing but the 338s are better for
    long range, where I hunted shots were 700+ yards and I limited the 416 to 400 yards.

    The 300 RUM seems to be just about perfict for distance and knock down if the right bullet
    is used.

    J E CUSTOM





    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DerekFSU View Post
    I need a rifle for shooting Nilgai while both they and I are on the move. Being a large antelope, I need a caliber big enough to go all the way through and leave a blood trail. Since both parties are moving at times, the more rounds in the magazine the better. We lost a large cow this weekend hit broadside while running with a .270 shooting Nosler partitions. Zero blood trail. We then took a small cow and cut out a .270 that hit it broadside but stopped just inside the skin on the exit side.

    The 458 SOCOM has some nice weight to it but I don't know if it has the punch to get all the way through the animal. The Armalite AR10 Ultramag is close with the .300SAUM round but the 24" barrel is a bit more than I want and the 5 round magazine less than I want.

    I like the .300WSM for the added punch, hot round, and reduced kick for less muzzle rise while firing multiple rounds, but haven't seen much available. I have seen Noreen ULR rifle in .338 lapua and .300 win mag but as mentioned before, the less kick/muzzle rise for follow up shots the better.

    Simply (sarcasm), all I need is a AR15 with a Surefire 60 round magazine with an Eotech firing rounds that will completely pentrate a 700lb animal. Any thoughts? Thanks.
    __________________
    "PRESS ON"
    Reply With Quote

      #3  
    Unread 04-24-2012, 03:13 PM
    Junior Member
     
    Join Date: Dec 2011
    Posts: 11
    Re: Nilgai Killer- Semi auto larger than a .308?

    Great points, thanks! I'm thinking the AR platform so I can run an Eotech and non-bolt in case I need to blow through 20 rounds in a hurry.
    Reply With Quote
      #4  
    Unread 04-24-2012, 06:07 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Jan 2008
    Location: SOCIALIST CONTROLLED TERRITORY OF NEW YORK
    Posts: 4,400
    Re: Nilgai Killer- Semi auto larger than a .308?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DerekFSU View Post
    Great points, thanks! I'm thinking the AR platform so I can run an Eotech and non-bolt in case I need to blow through 20 rounds in a hurry.
    do you hunt in an area of Africa where extra ammo is a must for the locals?
    __________________
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
    If you want to shoot Bergers start here!
    http://www.longrangehunting.com/arti...accuracy-1.php
    Reply With Quote
      #5  
    Unread 04-24-2012, 06:25 PM
    Junior Member
     
    Join Date: Dec 2011
    Posts: 11
    Re: Nilgai Killer- Semi auto larger than a .308?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ICANHITHIMMAN View Post
    do you hunt in an area of Africa where extra ammo is a must for the locals?
    No sir, South Texas. But a good amount of "spray and pray" with them running and us chasing.
    Reply With Quote
      #6  
    Unread 04-25-2012, 01:52 PM
    Silver Member
     
    Join Date: Jul 2007
    Posts: 186
    Re: Nilgai Killer- Semi auto larger than a .308?

    This might do the trick with Barnes TSX bullets.
    Online Store — DPMS: AR-15 Rifles, Parts and Accessories.
    Reply With Quote
      #7  
    Unread 04-25-2012, 05:14 PM
    Platinum Member
     
    Join Date: Jan 2011
    Location: Spokane, WA
    Posts: 3,785
    Re: Nilgai Killer- Semi auto larger than a .308?

    I believe the Benelli comes in 338 Winchester now.
    Reply With Quote
    Reply

    Bookmarks

    Thread Tools
    Display Modes


    Similar Threads for: Nilgai Killer- Semi auto larger than a .308?
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Need a new Semi Auto shotgun! matt_3479 Waterfowl Hunting 42 08-30-2016 12:04 PM
    AMT 22 mag semi auto Strick9 Guns For Sale 7 12-22-2011 11:24 AM
    Semi Auto 22 Magnum txnub Rimfire and Airguns 18 09-20-2011 11:27 AM
    WTS: .308 Valmet M76 semi auto trader388 Guns For Sale 1 09-19-2004 04:30 PM
    semi-auto texas The Basics, Starting Out 5 01-22-2002 02:11 PM


    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:06 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
    All content ©2010-2015 Long Range Hunting, LLC