Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Antelope Hunting

Newbie tryin to research/plan a Wyo Goat hunt with alot of ?s

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2013, 02:36 PM
Silver Member

Re: Newbie tryin to research/plan a Wyo Goat hunt with alot of ?s

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzlfarmboy View Post
Thanks guys, yeah talked to Canvsbk and cleared up a lot of things. I have a set of 10x42 Leica Geovids and a NF 5-22, planning on picking up my first spotter this year too looking hard at the Vortex Razor HD angled.

So from what I gathered these sections all had 100% draw success for someone with 0 points in 2012

4 8 10 15
16 17 20 21
22 23 24 25
26 30 31 35
38 44 70 102

Now where is the best place online to check each section for the availability of public hunting land? Delorme map book? Then use that in conjunction with my GPS and chip?

Or could I buy the chip and use it on my computer ahead of time to research public areas?

Thanks for the tips

Brett
Some areas don't sell out for the draw and you can buy the left overs when ever you want but when the draw has a high rate of people that get drawn then usally there isn't alot of public land to hunt on.

Yes get the GPS chip. 2 years ago driving down the highway on the way to my hunting spot, I spotting a lone buck in a little postage stamp of state land surronded by private. The buck should have got a gps and he would of know he wasn't on private land like he thought.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:51 PM
Silver Member

38 is impossible to hunt public land unless you know a rancher. Cross it off your list if your going in blind.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:33 PM
Silver Member

Unless you want to pay a trespass fee you can cross off unit 70 too, there is some public access just very few animals. The last couple of years the numbers have been way down in that area, 69, 70 , 71 and 72 just don't have the numbers they did a few years ago.

Bob
Old 03-04-2013, 09:09 PM
Silver Member

102 is a big area. Most of it is tied up with private. There are a few acsess sites for some public land. Check your public land chip. If you looking for a big goat this might not be the best.
It also includes some NFS. There are some goats in the mountain on public land. It opens the 15 of Oct. Same day as deer and elk.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:11 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altiman94 View Post

-Make sure your pants and shoes can withstand cactus and stickers. They are everywhere out there. Also get yourself a good pair of leather gloves for stalking in the cactii. Those stickers are not fun pulling out of your hands/knees.
My Sitka Mountain pants paid for themselves last fall in area 35. I also recommend carrying a plastic fork to pull the big round stickers out more easily.