Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Antelope Hunting

Newbie tryin to research/plan a Wyo Goat hunt with alot of ?s

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2013, 11:07 AM
Bronze Member

Newbie tryin to research/plan a Wyo Goat hunt with alot of ?s

So im trying to plan my first Out West public land hunt in Wyo for goats in the fall with a friend and im having a hard time understanding the tag/draw system, points, speacial/standard draw. As we dont have that here in Maryland, just a license you buy and a couple stamps and you can shoot what ever the bag limit is. And im pretty much on Ipad everynight trying to learn as much info on where to draw/apply for a tag.

I plan to buy a GPS and chip for wyo so I know where public and private is.
I plan to camp where were hunting.

Some questions I have are....

Should I buy the chip now to find out where theres a lot of public land in certain sections? Then look at odds for drawing in it?

I'd like to deff get us both a tag even if its just a doe tag. Whats our best options?

If I put in for a tag and dont recieve one do I get a point? or do you just have to buy them?

Is it wise for someone with no points to apply for the $$$ special draw or just the standard draw.

Please bear with me as Im trying to learn all this new info myself and have never spoke with anyone that has done this before, and im reading as much as I can from multiple resources.

Looking forward clearing up some of these uncertaintys as I would like to plan a trip every year for some sort of western big game animal.

Thanks, Brett
Old 02-05-2013, 12:03 PM
Silver Member

Re: Newbie tryin to research/plan a Wyo Goat hunt with alot of ?s

I'm going to just blurb here, no rime or reason....
The Wyoming fish and game web site has tons of info on it. Spend some or most of your time there. The DeLorme map book, about $20 I think, will help you a ton, quick and pretty accurate with public land marked pretty well. You will need the chip to hunt out there but not at this point. You get a point if you don't draw your first choice or you can just buy one in July, when the left over tags are available. Be carefully there.
I have found the BLM maps to be invaluable. $4 a pop. Tired of typing...
Pm sent.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:06 PM
Silver Member

Canvsbk has it. Study some maps first. Doe tags can be bought over the counter for most areas. WY G&F has a lot of info on it. Bring good optics. Hope we've helped
Old 02-05-2013, 09:28 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks guys, yeah talked to Canvsbk and cleared up a lot of things. I have a set of 10x42 Leica Geovids and a NF 5-22, planning on picking up my first spotter this year too looking hard at the Vortex Razor HD angled.

So from what I gathered these sections all had 100% draw success for someone with 0 points in 2012

4 8 10 15
16 17 20 21
22 23 24 25
26 30 31 35
38 44 70 102

Now where is the best place online to check each section for the availability of public hunting land? Delorme map book? Then use that in conjunction with my GPS and chip?

Or could I buy the chip and use it on my computer ahead of time to research public areas?

Thanks for the tips

Brett
Old 02-05-2013, 11:48 PM
Silver Member

If your going to buy the chip anyway, go ahesd and get it. But check out the BLM maps for a quicker look at PL. Then you can match it up with your GPS and chip.
Wyoming Game & Fish Department Put the curser on HUNTING and search the public lands.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:15 AM
Silver Member

Mytopo.com will let you look at specific maps of each unit online before you buy it. They're kinda pricey but if you do get any they're pretty nice, kind of a cross between a topo and BLM map.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:48 AM
Platinum Member

Areas with 100 % draw odds have very little or no public access and the antelope know whats public and avoid it. I have lived here my whole life and hunted antelope all over the state. My advice is stay west of the big horn mountains. or on the south end of the state.

Get a JOB! I already feed the bears, I dont need to feed you too!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad