Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Antelope Hunting

Never Been Antelope Hunting. But......

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2009, 09:51 AM
Bronze Member

Never Been Antelope Hunting. But......

I really would like to go. Could anyone tell me where in the country is the best place to go for a self guided, public ground hunt with good numbers of antelope and available tags? Or does this place only exist in my imagination? I know less than nothing about antelope hunting. All help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Old 11-07-2009, 07:44 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Never Been Antelope Hunting. But......

The places exist but they require 4-5 hours of work to pin down.

Here is a recipe for finding them.

How to go Antelope Hunting
Old 11-08-2009, 10:08 AM
Platinum Member

Sorry I can't help you on the WY hunt but looks like Buffalobob provided with an excellent advice.

A fair warning though, antelope hunting is fun and can be addicting. Antelope hunting is one my favorite.

Good luck and have a wonderful safe hunt!

Ed

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:51 AM
Bronze Member

Thank you guys for the info. I'm gonna check this out and start the process today.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:01 AM
Bronze Member

I have been hunting speed goats in montana for afew years. the state sets aside 10% of tags for out of staters. its all a draw. anyway the southeast corner issues thousands of tags. like any place you must do your homework. but its fun and addictive. 400yds one shot, 525 yds one shot. had good guys with me and a great day. not much meat on the small ones this year but tasty.
Old 11-10-2009, 04:11 PM
Bronze Member

That's what I'm talkin' bout. I think it would be a great hunt to go on with good friends and sounds like it's very fun. I'm really looking forward to getting out there. Thanks for all the info. Maybe 2010 will be my year to break into the goat game.
Old 11-11-2009, 06:08 PM
Bronze Member

I had never hunted antelope before last year and I went to the Wy Fish and Game website and found info on everything needed. The people in the Casper office were also really friendly. I threw a dart at the map and where it hit is where I applied for. Never had so much fun in my life so I went again this year. I hunted the last week of the season both years and saw 5000 times for goats then hunters, all on public land or walk-in areas. I am hooked for life! As a plus, the meat is better than venison in my humble opinion and I have been eating venison for over 50 years! Wyoming gets my vote and the Fish and Game Dept is light years ahead of the other western states. Tom