Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Antelope Hunting

Need Help!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2013, 05:14 PM
Bronze Member

Need Help!

Me and a close friend are wanting to plan an antelope hunt in wyoming during the 2014 season. We both purchased preference points this year, so we have one each. I have never been to wyoming, nor have I ever hunted antelope. We are needing a few suggestions on public areas to research, and apply for.

Any advice you can offer would be great.
We are NOT afraid of areas with limited access, or that require a lot of walking. We would actually prefer that. I have hunted elk in colorado several times, and living out of a backpack, where no one would ever hear you scream, is my kind of paradise!!!!!!!!
Old 09-17-2013, 08:05 PM
Silver Member

Re: Need Help!

Get on the Game and Fish web site and check out the walkin areas. The Red Desert in the SW has good public land, and big goats. The Nat'l Grassland around Gillette in the NE might also give you the hike for goats that you would enjoy.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:34 PM
Bronze Member

Will we have any problems getting drawn in one of those areas with only one preference point?
Old 09-18-2013, 06:44 AM
Silver Member

That I have no idea about. There are areas in the state that have left over tags after the draw. Check the site for left over Antelope tags, Wyoming Game and Fish - Available Quota Report and draw percentage's.
The other avenue would buy doe tags. http://wgfd.wyo.gov/QuotaAvailability/QuotaReport.aspx You should be able to do that with no points over the counter, or on the web site. We have hunters every year that get multiple deer and or goat doe tags for the meat.