Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Antelope Hunting

How to Get a 4x4 for NR Hunter in WY

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2012, 10:09 AM
Platinum Member

Re: How to Get a 4x4 for NR Hunter in WY

How the He** is he going to take tire chains on a flight from NC, LOL? One set would weigh a ton and we needed all four wheels chained on the PU last year even though we had it in low 4x4. Those roads out there are not to be messed with when they get a little moisture on them!
Old 02-10-2012, 10:17 AM
Gold Member

You can check tire chains. We bought some over the winter holidays in Germany, drove to Austria and then checked them from Zurich to Washington DC, definitely can be done.
Also agree with what was said about tread not being THAT important, if it's wet, everything will be sludge and clog any tread, chains would be the way to go if you really want to get onto the back roads. We rented a Ford Explorer, beat the crap out of it but worked fine in the end.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:44 AM
Platinum Member

That wasn't the point of my post! He could take whatever he wants with him IF he wants to pay through the nose the way the airlines now charge for everything else in addition to the person that gets on the plane. I would be locking up a 4x4 with a Casper rental agency ASAP and also see if they have chains. If they don't, I would buy a set when I arrived and then sell them to somebody when the hunt was over. I will not go out into the back country without chains because the weather can change in an hour and strand your rearend out where it could become a life or death situation!
Old 02-10-2012, 10:58 AM
Platinum Member

Sorry, double post!
Old 02-10-2012, 11:05 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
How the He** is he going to take tire chains on a flight from NC

Lol, Thats why I suggested driving! He may be better of changing units, or going guided!

DIY is alot harder than most guys realize!
Old 02-10-2012, 11:37 AM
Platinum Member

Going DIY isn't much of a problem if you do your homework and drive out, but I would never do it if I was flying out. With all the additional costs he's talking about you might as well hire an outfitter that has one or more ranches locked up with good animals on it. He is talking about flying out (big expense and risk with guns), motel charges, vehicle and gas charges, too much hunting time lost to driving back and forth to the motel, food and logistics for that when you fly because you won't have coolers, etc. No way JOSE! I say drive for a fun DIY experience or pay an outfitter to take care of all that garbage if you fly out!
Old 02-10-2012, 05:15 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgun 30-06 View Post
Going DIY isn't much of a problem if you do your homework and drive out, but I would never do it if I was flying out. With all the additional costs he's talking about you might as well hire an outfitter that has one or more ranches locked up with good animals on it. He is talking about flying out (big expense and risk with guns), motel charges, vehicle and gas charges, too much hunting time lost to driving back and forth to the motel, food and logistics for that when you fly because you won't have coolers, etc. No way JOSE! I say drive for a fun DIY experience or pay an outfitter to take care of all that garbage if you fly out!
The issue is usually time. Not everyone is old as dirt and retired. Sometimes the extra money is worth the time. Some people are money poor and some are time poor. I say whatever it takes to make the trip happen.