Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Antelope Hunting

HMA Permission Slips for Wyoming

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2012, 02:44 AM
Banned

Re: HMA Permission Slips for Wyoming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgun 30-06 View Post
Go onto the F&G website and on the home page at the top right you will see where you can click on information for the HMA and the WIHA areas. The latter are open to hunting and all you have to do is park and walk in if you have the proper tag for the animals listed for that ranch. They are signed around the perimeter of the area you can hunt. For the HMA ranches you will click on the one you want and fill out the information and print out a permission slip that you carry with you and one to put in the windshied of your vehicle. It is a first come first served deal and when the quotas are full you are out of luck, so do it as soon as you draw your tags. Some of them have a draw and you have to enter that draw after you draw the tag and you just need to follow the directions on the website for those places and hope you get chosen.
Thanks you for the post.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:31 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPW View Post
You will want to check your area for HMA's once you know which one you will be hunting. Many of them have specific dates you can hunt there, not always the entire season, and many are draws you will have to enter. You can pick up a walk in area brochure at sporting goods stores and many gas stations which will list the areas available and for what species.
Am I correct on this? After being drawn you got 2 classes of hunting land.

1. Land owner controlled HMA that you have to get before you come out there, or on some ranches, you just drive up to the gate and fill out one and boogy on down the road?

2. WIA=Walk in area. just show up fill out a form and hoof it?

HPW if you would expound on that a little so I got it "crystal clear".
I always wanted to get a speed goat for the wall but might have waited to long. If old timers don't get me, my feet might let me down. I keep hoping.

Thanks
Old 03-16-2012, 12:00 PM
Platinum Member

You are partially correct. The WIHAs do not require any paperwork at all to hunt. As long as you have a license for the animals that are listed in the G&F guide for a particular WIHA, you are good to hunt them. Most require that you park at a certain spot(s) at the signed ranch perimeter and walk in to get into the interior of the ranch. The other category is the HMAs and they control numbers of hunters by issuing written permission to hunt. Many just require that you log onto the G&F website, pick the HMA and fill out the form for permission and print it out to carry one copy and put a copy in the windshield where you park. Some require you to enter a drawing and the people that get drawn then fill out the necessary forms like I just mentioned to hunt certain dates. The 3 HMAs I found in the area I hunted last year just required the forms to be printed out on the computer, which I did, and then I took those with me to show I had permission to access the individual properties.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:17 PM
Silver Member

All the info on HMA's and Walk in areas, including maps and dates is available on the web site. last years info is pretty much the same year to year. Exceptions have already been noted for one unit 30 HMA.
If you are concerned about having enough BLM to hunt, you would be well advised to look into the HMA's prior to applying.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:26 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
All the info on HMA's and Walk in areas, including maps and dates is available on the web site.
Pay particular attention to the restrictions on the walk-in areas. Most of the walk in areas in central Wyoming are of the "established" road variety. There are also park and walk in, and designated road walk in.