Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Antelope Hunting

First time wyoming antelope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2012, 06:22 PM
Silver Member

Re: First time wyoming antelope

These guys can get a bit touchy as fall approaches...

PM SENT
Old 08-16-2012, 07:06 PM
Platinum Member

Nope, you didn't catch me on a bad day, but it did hit a touchy spot that gets to be a pain after a while. As I stated in my other posts, and what several other posts mentioned, the questions you asked could have all been answered by yourself if you had spent any amount of time on the Wyoming G&F website. Come up with some real questions on units after you've done your homework and I'll be happy to help, but I'm not going to tell a first time poster to go to the east side of unit 23 and do such and such without at least knowing he's looked over the maps, checked the drawing odds for the units, whether it has any huntable public property, etc. Too many people have done what you have done on a number of sites I'm on regularly this year and it gets a little old with all the information that is on the internet if you do a little work yourself. Sorry if that sounds cold, but as I stated earlier, I've helped a ton of people on a bunch of sites if they help themselves a little bit first and I'll do the same for you.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:50 PM
Silver Member

I would like to publicly thank TopGun for all the help he has been to me in my ongoing research on pronghorn hunting and Wyoming in general. He certainly helped point me in the right direction.
That being said I would also say that at first glance this appears to be a great place to start looking for general information and hopefully a bit of sage guidance. I totally understand the OP's original question, which I'm sure he thought was harmless enough. My guess is he doesn't know enough to even ask the right questions at this point.
Had he said in his very first post something like "I drew a tag in unit 63 could someone please help?" then I also would have to say - you probably should have thought this through before you applied for the tag buddy...
But then, that wasn't the question as I read it.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:37 PM
Platinum Member

Blame it on old age I guess, as I just hit 65 today, LOL! I'm on about 5 or 6 different sites and you can't believe how many hours I spend helping people doing research for them, including even making maps off my computer for them in more than one instance, all at my expense, and paper/ink, postage, etc. is not cheap. I don't know why this particular post ended up having me give that little rant, but I apologize and just won't post anything any more unless I see what I mentioned above!
Old 08-16-2012, 09:29 PM
Silver Member

A happy birthday to you sir and I certainly hope you find that 80+" pronghorn this fall that we both know you deserve. My biggest hope would be that both you and I are fortunate enough to enjoy many more fall seasons and what they might bring.
A beautiful weekend is on the way, I think we deserve it!
Old 08-16-2012, 09:42 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks and I certainly hope everything you mentioned comes true!!!
Old 08-16-2012, 09:57 PM
Silver Member

Back in the 70's three of us drew antelope tags and mule deer tags in the Gelette (sp) area and had our hunt all planned out on a priviate ranch north of there. The rancher was so busy with rich hunters from New York that he sent us to the back 40 where there was no antelope. We vacated his place empty handed then went to town and got maps of BLM land in the area and salvaged our hunt and we filled all our tags. A good hunt can happen even in the worse situations if you use a little common sense. We were not going to let a rancher that did not care about our hunt after all we only drove 1000 miles in a snow storm to enjoy Wyoming.